Domestic Fused Spur wiring route

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikenaylor

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to fused spur off socket on one wall located behind large but movable wardrobe, via mini trunking self adhesive to the wall sitting just above the skirting board round one corner to the next wall to a surface mounted socket?

Surface mounted wiring is a perfectly acceptable method of installation, as is surface mounted trunking. However you should ensure the cable is securely fixed to avoid later damage if it becomes snagged or sags from the position you have installed it. As some makes of self adhesive trunking appear to have very poor adhesive that often fails, (more so if surfaces are uneven or dusty),  I would recommend a few strategically placed screws and plugs through the trunking to complement the adhesive and stop it hanging of the wall in six months time.  Personally I would only consider surface trunking as a last resort option, as it can look rather messy and poor quality. But providing it is acceptable to the person paying the bill then there is nothing in wiring regulations stating it cannot be used. (Assuming all other standard design criteria are met).

Doc H.

I just wanted confirmation as I was sure this was acceptable. the customers wall is nicely wallpapered, no chasing out wanted, and bringing the cable through the loft in the far corner and down inside trunking in the corner would be unsightly, the most unobtrusive would be the mini trunking around the skirting as you say, a couple of securing screws would not go amiss, although the screwfix mini trunking I have used for other jobs (Ethernet) has not come unstuck yet.

Thanks

I only ever regard the self adhesive strip as a convenient means of holding it in place long enough to get some screws in to secure it properly.

I always back up self adhesive trunking with screws as well, maybe not as many if it was non adhesive but always worth a few in it.

I thought self adhesive mini trunk HAD to be mechanically fixed if it contains mains wiring...but I may well be wrong

Mine always is no matter what it contains

Same...

Since the introduction of these:

84af94ed1f9a8cae7b8909022d963931.png.0b2e403b1f24c7022004d5a9d5194518.png

Ive always used them regardless of installation location, as I understand, it will be mandatory practice under the new regulations.

I also find it is easier to install long lengths if the cable is not falling out.

IMO trunking can be done well and look okay if the effort is put in.

Errm.. Does it not depend on how the original socket is fed??

To the exact letter of the regs, yes. But it's behind a wardrobe so hardly likely to be used so it can almost be ignored, and in all probability neither socket will come close to drawing anywhere near the cables maximum rating. I wouldn't have much of an issue with it TBH, but even with a fused spur it wouldn't make any difference unless you were replacing the existing outlet with the spur and then at that point you might as well just remove the old socket and extend the cable out and stick a blank over the old inaccessible one.

OP should maybe think about not doing electrical jobs for paying customers though and should definitely not follow any of my advice.