domestic installer part P scheme

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briggs9

Reaction score
What Qualifications do you need for the NICEIC domestic installer scheme ?

Do you need 2391?

I assume if anyone made an inquiry to any scheme provider they would be advised of the entry requirements and any proposed changes on the immediate horizon. If an application has already been started would the current entry requirements still be applicable?

Doc H.

Doc, I have just been onto the training Department of the NICEIC. They inform Me that up until 01/01/2012 the 2382 is sufficient, but they don't know what is happening for certain after that. I have read somewhere on the NICEIC website, that after the above date, they will accept only the NVQ3 as proof of qualification. This information is at odds to the girl I was on the phone to, as she has the belief that any level 3 qualification will suffice, but she has had no official guidance from the powers that be. I did say that official clarification should have been given in that it is now less than 10 weeks until the qualifications change. She couldn't have agreed more with My interpretation of the way things are, a mess.

AndyGuinness

Thanks doc & zee

It was just a litre chat I was having with a friend of my brothers

in the wholesalers today.

He is doing electrical work domestic but is not registered to any body.

He's a good lad but breaking the law!! I have told him he needs to follow this up.

I'm not gonna let this drop with him.

It does p**s me off!!!

Hi Briggs, I've just joined the NIC domestic installers full scope scheme.

Requirements for me where:

Show my 17th edition qualification

Proof of 2 million pound public liability

2 assessment jobs, one of mine was a CU change and the other was a security light fitted on it's own circuit

Pay

Zee

All kinds he got laid off a while back and is doing what ever he gets.

Its the classic situation but it still takes work away from the rest of us.

Thanks Rossi

How do you find the nic for tec support?

Only passed my assessment last week Briggs so have had no experience with tech support yet

Zee All kinds he got laid off a while back and is doing what ever he gets.

Its the classic situation but it still takes work away from the rest of us.

Thanks Rossi

How do you find the nic for tec support?
So he' not notifying anything, is he bothering to test and certifying his work? I think Steptoe may ask what colour is his horse and cowboy hat?

Doc H.

Doc, I have just been onto the training Department of the NICEIC. They inform Me that up until 01/01/2012 the 2382 is sufficient, but they don't know what is happening for certain after that. I have read somewhere on the NICEIC website, that after the above date, they will accept only the NVQ3 as proof of qualification. This information is at odds to the girl I was on the phone to, as she has the belief that any level 3 qualification will suffice, but she has had no official guidance from the powers that be. I did say that official clarification should have been given in that it is now less than 10 weeks until the qualifications change. She couldn't have agreed more with My interpretation of the way things are, a mess.AndyGuinness
Incorrect - the Level 3 (OR EQUIVALENT) must be in INSTALLATION, not just regs or I&T

I have read the posts on this subject with great interest; I am a little

concerned that some within the NICEIC do not appear to know what the

competence requirements or levels are. I will make some written notes

from the post if that is OK with you guys.

Many thanks.

Thats fine Tech, I was reading the NICEIC's own blog last night and it appears on it that any installation level 3 qualification would suffice. But I was told by one manager at the NIC a while back that only the NVQ3 would be accepted. I have said to their training department that I will contact them back in a few weeks to see if anything has changed.

AndyGuinness

I have been hearing things (really) about the new 2357. Apparently it does not

come in levels 2 & 3 and a final certificate is only issued after an NVQ, three in

number it seems.

This might stymie a lot of folks who only want to go to level 2 and not higher.

Any thoughts?

I would go along with that. Further, I would argue that all training

centres should have a link with the Joint Industries Board and make

some overtures in that direction so that the JIB could assist in the

setting of a national standard of training.

It is not a criticism of anyone, either in general or particular but having

delivered one or two C & G 2382 courses I have discovered that there

are quite a few "holes" in the knowledge pots of a lot of experienced

sparkies.

When I consider that the part "P" scheme was introduced to permit

plumbers to qualify as "electricians" I heard the well used expression

"installer's charter", meaning that some thought that just having part

"P" meant that they could erect installations.

I have seen some installations erected by some builders. The less said

about that the better.

NO disrespect to plumbers or to experienced electricians.