Domestic Socket outlet problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then it becomes a no brainer

We can make an assumption at this point that it is broken at the same place if it was originally a ring

so therefore power up one cable and ascertain which sockets are live,,,make a note of these,, dead test R1+R2 all those sockets again make a note of these

repeat for the other cable

the highest R1+R2 on each leg should be the furthest point,,,,,,,remove socket and there should only be a single cable

if not then the break will be hidden

choice.....

put them back on a 20 amp mcb

or split them to 2 20 amp mcb's

it could be that it is a radial but one cable feeds a single outlet which is exceptable..

(this may seem long winded to the experienced guys but the Op may benefit from a detailed reply)

let us know the outcome

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think as SL says it probably was never a ring the other possibility is a kitchen fitter has messed about with it and he has broken the ring. What actual sockets are affected.

Or... There is a socket somewhere that was missed on 2nd fix and the ends are still in the back box wondering where the hell their socket is!! I've had this before in a kitchen behind unit... Been like it for years and never found until old kitchen was been pulled out...lucky they were taped ends and not touching!!

Or... There is a socket somewhere that was missed on 2nd fix and the ends are still in the back box wondering where the hell their socket is!! I've had this before in a kitchen behind unit... Been like it for years and never found until old kitchen was been pulled out...lucky they were taped ends and not touching!!
I had one like this 'back in the day'. Dried out plaster is a F good insulator!!....no tape, no connectors, just a nice straight cut insulated with Carlite Browning.... :coat

I have moved this thread to the student zone, the OP clearly states that he is getting paid for this work so can not be classed as a DIY,er