Door Bell System

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak 1990

Reaction score
Hi every one been reading this forum for a few weeks now but been a bit nervous to join up as I've seen some harsh comments been given out.

I'm out of my time by around 6 months I'm on a job at the moment and the client has asked me to wire a door bell that works when the sales door is open. Been to the wholesalers yesterday and got a 12 v psu

12v sounder a alarm. Door contact the white rectangle type a relay and base I've wired it up without the relay and base and the bell sounds when the door is closed. And goes off when the door is open this is the wrong way round. And I'm a bit puzzled how to get this working right. Is there anybody that could assist me as I'm flapping a bit.

Also this relay looks very complicated !

Thanks for reading

Zak

The switch closes when the door is shut. That's the way it is and can't be changed.

So use the switch to energise the relay.

Then use the normally CLOSED contact of the relay to switch the bell.

Door opens, relay releases, bell sounds.

Door closed, relay energises, bell stops.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi dave thanks for the quick response ive wired a 2 core flex from the psu into an adaptable box a 2 core flex to the sounder and a alarm cable to the door contact. still a bit sketchy but sought of grasp what your saying. if I take positive to the door contact then back to a1 and - to a 2

that's the bit I grasp do I also take another 12 v to common on the relay and from nc to the sounder. ?

Do as PD says  Zak , you may need to sit down and study how the relay switches , give it some thought and all will become clear .

Sorry you were discouraged from signing in ..... our retired founder intended this to be , as it says ..." A Forum with difference ..as in friendly " 

If your questions are sensible and genuine you shouldn't get flak , its not what we're here for.

Or go and get a door contact with a change over contact built in?

Or use a type of door switch you use on a cupboard door where the light comes ON when the door is open.

and OFF when its closed!

Hi every one been reading this forum for a few weeks now but been a bit nervous to join up as I've seen some harsh comments been given out.

Thanks for reading

Zak
You can let any of the Admin or Moderator team know if you feel mis-treated and he offending forumites will be taken to court and dealt with accordingly

As said above this is meant to be a friendly forum for everyone

So please feel free to join in the discussions

hi every one thanks for the friendly replies just one problem its bank holiday weekend and the shop opens Monday. is it viable to do the way I said or am I missing something my charge hand came wednesdasy got the gear I needed and just left me to it and hes on a stag do all weekend. im trying to draw a wiring drawing but it wont let me post how I think it should be wired?

You could adapt what you already have by spacing the  frame part of the contact on a bracket in front of the door part ( has to be about 20mm in front) , so when the door opens it passes under the contact rings the bell for a few seconds, then rings it again as the door closes.

Scan0002_zps594a0772.jpg

Try this Zak  .   Took me that long to get this through Photobucket  (which they keep messing about with )  a million guys have answered.

hi canoe boy I cant access the link it says I don't have permission

thanks evans ill give that a try in the morning and if it doesn't work ill try switching the n/c n/o around

Looking at The Paddler's professional wiring diagram  , I feel ashamed of my back o' the fag packet jobby . 

Just ...Tryingtohelp.

Well one thing you can't change is your age.    :(

'cept Steppers of course...who now maintains he,s 21  ....yeah  right . 

Canoeboy said:
Deke - NO on the relay would be the same as just using the NC switch wouldnt it ?

I can see it ?
No..don't think so ...  coil energised while door is closed .... door opens ..N/O  relay contact closes to ring bell . 

I'm guessing he,s using an alarm door contact  which is closed when door is closed .    

Those old fashioned shop door contacts are still available , Denmans used to to have them .

Thanks people for your expert advice especially on a bank holiday.

Just realised there's a big step up from being an apprentice to being let loose in this world on my own sure ill be a regular from now.

Happy Easter everyone even though I'm working

One other point for consideration..

The doorbell PSU and bell itself.....  is it DC or AC?

many bog standard bells & transformers are 12v 1A AC..

which may present problems if the relay you have requires a DC operating voltage?? 

:C

Zak it is a big step   , no Sparky to ask advice from .     To be honest ,its  now that you  start to learn the trade.

Why........its only a year ago that  I finished my time . :innocent .................or was that when I left school .... or when I started school ... getting a bit confused now :C ...people keep mentioning the war ,   now ...time to test the Fire alarm ....MANUEL  !!!!     MANUEL !!!!!!  

Hi special location my charge hand got me a 12 volt psu but after talking to him on the phone he asked for a 24 v

He also got me a white 24 v fire alarm sounder and two 24 v relays 1 ac and 1 dc.

He told me to wire it up on a plug top from the psu to the sounder to see if it worked and it did. He's back Monday so as long as I've done every thing right ill question the rest.

Is the sounder likely to burn out from this difference in voltage ?

It wont burn out, bit may not work correctly   (although you have said it does sound). What i am  wondering is how long will the relay last as it is always energised. 

What sort of shop is this that needs a fire alarm sounder when the door opens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.