Doorbell volt drop??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Last week I installed a doorbell in a small hotel.

It was a wired push button with a transformer and chime combined.

After installing it I wasnt impressed with the loudness of the chime so I suggested we would add another bell onto the tranny.

anyway adding this bell wouldnt work. It worked direct but not via the push button, so I suggested we get rid of the tranny and chime combined and run this bell off a normal bell transformer on its own. Still no joy, its a 12v 1A tranny. The run for the cable is about 25mtrs. The owners were also talking about a bell on each floor so they dont miss it. Do you think I am getting too much volt drop (I should have measured it today). Do they do any systems that can power 3 bells from one tranny?

In some shops where i've fitted till bells with a ringer in the back shop i've used 4mm t+e due to the length of the run.

Oh, 1st post, hi everyone!

In some shops where i've fitted till bells with a ringer in the back shop i've used 4mm t+e due to the length of the run.Oh, 1st post, hi everyone!
That must be one big shop and welcome to the forum.

Higher current OP tranny or fatter cable or both is the conclusion of the vast wealth of minds brought to this problem tonight!!!!

I fitted 3x bell sounders off one transformer in a largish house....

Think I got it running all OK off 0.75mm twin flex..

you've only got 12v to start with though.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:05 ----------

flamin 'eck,

you pushing again SL, :|

But its also the multiple bells/chimes factor as well...

NOT just distance to one Chime....

you need more current to work multiple chimes in parallel even if the cable runs are short!

so if he wants bells on each floor will need more current as well as fatter cable..

if it is JUST one bell on a longer run...

Just fatter cable should do...

really needs to do a bit of ohms measurements of the cable runs..

check the resistance/current rating off the chime unit....

see what volts and current your tranny can output...

and should be just a bit of maths!!

Some traditional doorbells can run off 4 x 1.5v batteries..

so only need 6v to work them...

if your tranny is outputting 8v or 12v and you only need 6v....

you can afford to drop a few here and there?

This issue is one that I spent way too long on when I was first asked to do a doorbell.

Two bells need to be wired in parallel, with a 2A transformer.

I've also had issues with loudness due to bad design of covers.

The loudest standard bell I've come across is by Byron