Double Set Conduit Tutorial

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the doctor

Part P Doctor ™
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was on a steel conduit job the other day (remember those?) and did a couple of identical double sets.  I photographed the second in stages to put on my blog.  However, no one ever looks at that so I thought I may pop it here.  If I were to do this, which section would I be best popping it? It was my finest work..... :innocent

In Tricks of the Trade I guess .

Have you advanced from the wooden bending block yet Doc ?    I just do them by eye to be honest , but there is an instruction sheet available , by Hilmore I think  . And now by the Doc. 

Allow me Doc .....you are through to the Forum IT Dept.

Click on  "More Reply Options"  bottom right .

Click on  "Browse"       ( For the pic on your computer)

Click on  " Attach this File"

Click  "Add to Post.

Theres a bit of PVC conduit as an example.

Image016 (4).jpg

Cheers for that Mr Evans...Allow me to begin!

I am at the moment working in the only place I can now ply my trade unimpeded.  This paradise is called Northern Ireland and is Part P free.  I am banned from working in the Irish republic unless I apply for a 'license' costing lots and lots of euro :coat

I work for a small company, about 4 miles away inside the North.  I live in the South.  This firm installs PV and solar water kits.  Declan is a good man and you can read plenty here...     http://www.ecosystemsdirect.co.uk/

Anyways, everyone in Ireland has a sexy shed and Declan's aspiration is no exception.  One of the lads, Paul, is a bricky by trade so the thing was up in no time.  I have done a little steel tubing on some of their jobs, so Dec decide he wanted a tasty tube job...  It is a square block building with pesky pillars half way down each side.  The double set is one of the trickiest chaps you will come across so makes for a good tutorial  :yellow card    So here we go then...

The first thing you need to know about this sort of job is that there is an order to it.  The order is....

1) string it out.

2) fit the saddles

3) make the pieces

4) screw it together and drop it in the saddles.

The reasons for this is twofold.  It is quicker to make the pieces to the dimensions of the lines AND if the threads a re a little skew whiff the conduit will pull straight in the saddles. Making the tube fit the lines is outside this tutorial and am sure it is in this forums archive... However if it is lost, I will do it again, if the demand is there for it.  For my second set, 1 and 2 have been done.

original.jpg

This is the first pillar that has been negotiated.  the idea is to copy the job on the opposite pillar... here goes.

saddles.jpg

As stated, you have to string it out and then saddle it.  I have put my money where my mouth is! There should be a saddle in the middle of the pillar, but there is a huge girder there.  At this stage I was not sure how to navigate the problem, so just marked the pilar and went into complete denial.. :red card

first bend.jpg

No we are cracking.  When I made the first double set, I recorded the angle of the dangle with this cardboard template.  All I got to do now is get the next part right!

first set.jpg

This is a top tip for getting the set right the first time.  You lay a bit of scrap on top of the former like this, get on your knees to the side of the machine and slide a tape between the two tubes.  The scrap needs to be parallel to the tube you are bending like this.   My set needed to be 155mm to clear the pillar.  This is not far off.  It is now just a matter of putting the second bend in and doing the final tickle.  I have now run out of upload, so will return in a few moments with a new post.

See you soon

Mr Evans please help!

I am in full flow now but I cannot upload anymore.  I even tried to fiddle it by starting a new topic but it knows what I am up to.... :facepalm:

I can't help you  Doc ,  I didn't know there was a limit to uploading pics to the Forum .

One of The Horsemen   or a Mod needs to step in .

( First time  I get to advise someone with a computer problem and it all goes tets up )   :C

I can't help you  Doc ,  I didn't know there was a limit to uploading pics to the Forum .

One of The Horsemen   or a Mod needs to step in .

( First time  I get to advise someone with a computer problem and it all goes tets up )   :C
As Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies.... "A man has got to know his limitations..." :slap   And I was in full flow, I hope I can get it back again... :innocent

Hey just checked....I am back on again..... well here goes then!

first set check.jpg

When you do your set, if it was 'out' you may not see it.  Here, I pop it on the floor alongside a virgin piece.  I am measuring between the pieces.  Funnily enough, this was my first attempt and it was spot on.  Must be beginners luck...

pillar measurement.jpg

The pillar was 400mm wide so here I have set these cable drums to mimic the dimensions.  I have popped a pencil mark there to let me know where to do the bend.

2nd set half done.jpg

Here is the bend on its way now, it is now I do this....

mark in former.jpg

When I did the first set, you may remember that I used a cardboard 'template' to set the angle of the dangle.  Well I need to use it again but now need to make sure I put it in the tube back in the same place in the bender  if I have it in and out a few times.  Just a little insurance you understand!

2nd set angle check.jpg

Here is the bad boy on the floor now, on the home run.  The angle is an exact mirror image of the opposite side.

2nd set ready.jpg

This shot shows the second set, ready for bending.  I have done that trick again, laying a scrap tube on top of the former to line all up.  Just a quick pull now and lay it on the deck against a straight edge to decide if it is 'cock on' as we say in'th North

finished.jpg

And here it is finished, well almost!  Remember my clanger, having the conduit line up with that rock hard girder? Well this is how I got round it...

saddle fiddle.jpg

The centre line of the conduit was exactly on the rib of the girder.  I deemed it pure hardship to start drilling and tapping the girder so had a brief think about it.....After some deliberation, I deemed it was a bit naughty, but I drilled out the bottom fixing on the saddle and drove a 50mm screw through the saddle and saddle clamp.  As a man once said, "A blind man on a galloping horse won't spot it"  This fixing was just under the girder in good old block!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.  If you have any questions, I will stay in tech mode... :Salute

Alan

There you go  Herr Doc  ,   courtesy of The Forum Sparks of the Year   (in case you didn't know)  and Head of IT Dept .

Edit :   And sweeper upper after the Four Horsemen have passed through .

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts