downlighters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

sorry my brain is fryed today.

3 downlighters to be on a dimmer, is it best to loop through the switch? i cant think!

also, 12v gu10? pros and cons of both please!

thanks again

paul

Hi chaps,3 downlighters to be on a dimmer, is it best to loop through the switch? i cant think!

paul
Loop wherever you like as long as junctions are accessible or maintenance free

Hi chaps,sorry my brain is fryed today.

3 downlighters to be on a dimmer, is it best to loop through the switch? i cant think!

also, 12v gu10? pros and cons of both please!

thanks again

paul
12V lights are usually MR16. GU10 is mains.

doesnt make any difference where you loop at. you can still loop at a light. its still accessible since you can take downlight down for access

in my experience 12v are better because they blow less lamps than GU10's

If you're looping in at light use ashley J201 jb's, tale more cables, 4 term, heavy duty and generally fit through the hole.

Don't forget fire regs

in my experience, 230v are better. im always changing MR16 connectors because they have burnt out. and they often get changed for a 230v GU10. rarely change a GU10 connector (much better contact on a GU10)

I've recently fitted over 30 of the Click flameguard ones, they come with their own connector system, really impressed, easy to wire and fit.

I prefer to loop at the switch these days, doesn't make my arms ache as much as standing on steps making them off!