Downlights from below

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I achieved this by buying a very long (24") narrow drill bit (or wood auger I think it's called) and drilling through the plasterboard at a very shallow angle about halfway up the joist (starting around 12" away from the joist).   After making a pilot hole at the intended drilling angle, I used a cheap LED endoscope to check I wasn't going to hit anything once through the plasterboard  (which was worth doing as there was a plastic pipe in the way in one place). 

Like most newish homes, I don't have liftable floorboards, but huge sheets which go under every wall. I couldn't see a way of lifting these without cutting out huge sections and risking having squeaky floors for life. I'm honestly not sure you'd fit downlights from the top in this situation - it seems much easier and less destructive to do it from below.

This method meant the cable (once taught) was several inches clear of both the plasterboard and floorboard and the only redecorating was a small 7mm drill hole at intervals along the ceiling.  I found that method was easier to patch up than making large discs or square patches and no skimming required... Just fill the tiny holes, sand smooth and paint.  At this point, I was reminded why to never use Pollyfilla for hole filling; It dries rock hard and doesn't sand easily! 

The best stuff for patching up plasterboard, is the pre mixed stuff used for taping and filling a dry lined wall. Sets solid but sands beautifully.

The best stuff for patching up plasterboard, is the pre mixed stuff used for taping and filling a dry lined wall. Sets solid but sands beautifully.

Easyfil ..and if you pay just a bit more it comes in individual sealed sachets within the main bag, so no worries about opening a full bag just for a couple of trowel-fulls.used to use loads of it on the shop fitting jobs.A good,taping blade helps. Dry wallers got me a set from 250mm to 600mm