Downlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robojin

Reaction score
So a simple question what's the preference 240v or 12v

Seems I'm constantly replacing transformers, and have seen a few of the 12v melted at the terminal

Also I'm I being a pedant should not 12v now be called ELV not LV

So a simple question what's the preference 240v or 12vSeems I'm constantly replacing transformers, and have seen a few of the 12v melted at the terminal

Also I'm I being a pedant should not 12v now be called ELV not LV
12V is ELV even the veterinary knows that

240V is LV

Distribution voltage is high voltage

so what's just plane old voltage?

i always fit 240V unless they must be 12V. less to go wrong, and im always out changing blown transformers or converting lights to run on 230V GU10 instead of 12V MR16's

If the customer does not insist I always recommend LV (240V).

The only good thing about ELV (12V) is that the light is brighter.

The advantages of LV:

No transformer, simpler and cheaper to install and maintain.

Less hit produced to the top, meaning less hit damage to the cables.

Of course this is my opinion based on my experience

If the customer does not insist I always recommend LV (240V). The only good thing about ELV (12V) is that the light is brighter.

The advantages of LV:

No transformer, simpler and cheaper to install and maintain.

Less hit produced to the top, meaning less hit damage to the cables.

Of course this is my opinion based on my experience
heat?

I use 12v as you get more light for your money although these days I tend to opt for 11watt megaman gu10's usually unless customer specs halogen.

Batty

I use 12v as you get more light for your money although these days I tend to opt for 11watt megaman gu10's usually unless customer specs halogen.Batty
I Used them a lot but stopped. I do not think that they are ready yet, it takes them time to come on and I had a lot of complaints about this. I used 11W but they were not bright enough, than used the 13W, they all had the same problem with the delayed start.

I Used them a lot but stopped. I do not think that they are ready yet, it takes them time to come on and I had a lot of complaints about this. I used 11W but they were not bright enough, than used the 13W, they all had the same problem with the delayed start.
I tend to use lv in loos and bathrooms but rooms which are left on for long periods I use megaman 11w ok so it is a different light to lv but people like the energy saving. If you have 10 lv at 50 watts that is half a unit of electric per hour they are on. Tell the customer that they soon think twice about having the 50w ones.

Batty

I try to stick with 240 main voltage.

My experiance has shown that the heat generated from transformers to be unacceptable given all the regulations with insulation.

I have seen some transformers reduced to molten plasic lumps.

Some of the new mains led lights have grown on me,unfortunately at the moment not dimmable

Some of the new mains led lights have grown on me,unfortunately at the moment not dimmable
Havent used the LEDs, but can you not stick a resistor in there as a dimmer? or depending on the voltage, or use a LM317T or similar to alter voltage?

Yes I have seen dimmable dc led lights but not mains voltage, still waiting.

while we are on the subject, anyone want to recommend some decentish cheap 230v downlights, I need about 20 for a garage cum gamesroom. brushed chrome or similar.

Latest posts