ECO 7 Immersion going old

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
I have a customer with an immersion that works through the night on eco 7 but the water is cold by the following afternoon.

Is there anyway I can add a boost onto the samee element. I was thinking of comming off the normal perm supply with an eco 7 timer to allow heating in the cheap period plus an override. She has the eco 7 with a radio switch and seperate board. In the cheaper hours does the normal board also run at the cheap rate?

Tom

You can link out a Horstman timer that way no problem.

As for the metering, you'll have yo have a look yourself... some older e7 setups have 2 meters so only NSH will get the cheap tariff, most give it to the whole house.

Do you mean that she's using all the hot water up, or that the water simply goes cold in the tank?

Is it a tank with a side entry immersion (these usually have two) or a top entry? If top, have you checked how long it is? Is it possible someones fitted an 11 inch or 18 inch when it could have a 27 inch and so she's only getting half a tank to start with?

Have you checked what temperature the water is being heated to? Turning up the stat to get water at 65C will maximise the energy storage.

What's the insulation like? Even if it's a foam cased tank, adding a jacket will cut the heat loss in half.

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/question-answer-board/13644-instant-water-heaters.html#post183740

If it's a top mounted immersion in a fairly tall tank, then she'll only be getting about half a tankfull per charge - the immersion can't heat water below it's reach. One way round this is to fit a cheap pump and 15mm pipework between the outlet at the top and the inlet at the bottom. Wire the pump so it's running when the immersion is on (during E7). This will circulate water through the tank continuously and so she will end up with a full tank of hot water. Circulation should be from top to bottom, enhancing the natural convection and speed 1 will do.

They used to do 3 position isolator switches that could switch between cheap, off and normal.

Have they stopped manufacturing these now?

immersion.jpg This one had the same problem, it was only when it started tripping the new RCD that I sussed it.

Cheers. Chris:Blushing

If the tank is cold you could insulate the tank properly.