Economy 7 - Why are my heaters coming on in the day instead of the night?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mg12

Reaction score
Sorry, new here.

Having fun and games with my economy seven. Asking question: Why is my heaters coming on in day instead of night?, was told - meter faulty (pay as go).

Had to wait month before being fixed which meant expensive, as on rate 1 and putting up with a cold house in the night. New meter in / rang company to say heaters still on in day time, to be told its timer thats broken as its a new meter cant be that. Sent engineer round who didn't have a clue about timers, who then said its most probably the heaters. been feeling as if they dont believe me when i tell them heaters still on in day. Went throgh 89 electric that month, I waited for new meter, was told I would get it reimbursed as not my fault (heard nothing since). Now back to square one. MY STORAGE ECONOMY SEVEN IS STILL HEATING UP IN DAY USING RATE 1 AND NOT AT NIGHT, when it should be on!!!! Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, as a general rule storage heaters switch on a night to store heat to be dissipated during the day. But there are some models that can have additional boost supplies during the day. I think we would need to know a bit more about which specific heaters you have. Photos may help.

Doc H.

Have they just started doing this? were they previously alright? or have you only just moved in so you don't know?

Was ANYTHING altered when they went wrong?

Does your electricity bill show daytime AND night time rates? If so which one has the highest usage?

What sort of time switch do you have (post a pic?) is it an electronic radio teleswitch, or an older mechanical type (usually with a clear plastic cover so you can see the mechanical workings)?

Years ago I had a "problem" with my mechanical timeswitch that it didn't turn off at the right time, but remained on the cheap rate until mid afternoon. That worked to my advantage as the heaters didn't have to store the heat as long so could be run on a lower setting so worked out cheaper to run.

P.S I don't understand "pay as you go" meter. Is that a prepayment meter, i.e one where you pay in advance and plug a card in? If so the FIRST thing to do is get rid of that and get a normal credit meter and a quarterly or monthly account. Prepayment meters are the most expensive way possible to buy electricity.

Likewise I don't understand "rate 1" I'm used to Day and Night rates as they appear on your bill.

Last edited by a moderator: