Economy 7

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithbr13

Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone know if super tariff is the same as economy 7 ? I have been asked to install an electric shower, customer showed me two consumer units, supplied from 1 meter. In economy 7 instalations I have seen before i CU is for heaters and water heating off the economy 7 meter and the other CU supplies ringmains etc. In this instalation both boards have ways marked up supplying heaters and a water heater. Also is it possible to fit an RCBO to a hager CU CAt ref is ICO58-01 and mcb marked MT132 = 32A.

if there are storage heaters, check to see if they have convector boosts. if so they should have 2 isolators at each heater. one for e7 and one for day rate. if the meter has only one live on the load side its probably the same as stay warm, where everything is switched onto cheap rate for 7 hours some time between 10 at night and 10 in the morning. if this is the case it may be a smat heat system (Electratech) the heaters are controlled via a contactor and there should be a controll pannel on the wall somewhere.

The off peak CU is only energised at night to feed storage heaters. It will also feed the lower immersion heater to give a full tank of cheap rate water.

The other CU is energised all the time and feeds ring mains, lights etc. The reason it also has an immersion heater is because that is the top "boost" heater that can be turned on at any time of day to heat half a tank if you have used up all the water heated the previous night. Likewise it can have "heaters" if you have a panel heater rather than a storage heater so you will want to turn that on any time of day. It's common to find panel heaters in bedrooms rather than storage heaters.

You need to connect the shower to the permanently fed CU.

The newer Hager Rcbo's seem to be the same as the MT ones so should fit as long as there is enough room around neutral bar although the older Hager consumer units had the Neutral bar along the sides.