Ecs / CSCS card Renwal

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kli1

Reaction score
Just been made redundant and my grade card expires at the end of the month :facepalm: .  Is it possible to get my card renewed without being employed?

Yes. No problem at all. Call the JIB and they will clarify what you need to do. 

I read something the other day ref the CSCS cards on the lines I think that this year you'll have to have a recognised  qualification to go with whatever trade is on the card.

I read something the other day ref the CSCS cards on the lines I think that this year you'll have to have a recognised  qualification to go with whatever trade is on the card.

Errrrr. You really should already have. 

Quite correct, all cscs related cards are now specific to the trade to which you work and you must have the relevant qualification to go with the card. Therefore any electricians after 1999 must have the nvq3 (inc AM2). 

Yes , your money is as good anyone's .      Have a look at what Sharpie has posted . 

It will pay you to keep that card in force .   Now you are not employed at the moment you will have to pay for the renewal  as we self employed do,  And pay to renew you CSCS  card ,  £40 last one I did .   and as shown above , you now need your 17th edition .

You 'll get a job much easier with the card than without it .

I thought this was already being enforced. Quite shocking if a 'qualified' electrician is allowed to work under a 'labourers' card for example. 

All cards are specific to qualifications. Electricians used to be able to gain access to sites with a normal CSCS card, however as the regulations have caught up you now need a card specific to your role on site.

You will not be allowed to carry out any electrical works if you hold an ordinary CSCS card. You must hold an ECS/ JIB card.Which is CSCS affiliated.

The down side to this is that our cards cost more than theirs, sods law and all that.

The Health and Safety Executive are clamping down on this with spot checks becoming more common.

If you register on the JIB website they will automatically send you notification when your card is due for renewal. Regardless of my past reservations and objections, I have started to renew my card at the required intervals, if only to save the hassle of re-applying.

Most jobs that you will be interviewed for will require you to have your ECS/JIB card so it is well worth the outlay.

Yes I should have said in my post that they won't renew your JIB Grade card  without you doing the CSCS test.   Thats what cost £40.   The ECA were doing them.

Mine has lapsed now but I won't renew again .

Last edited by a moderator: