shafted again!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So surely if self employed you can write these costs off as expense ? and if employed its also an expense and can be claimed on self assessment?
It’s not a problem with the expense claiming, it’s how they would like me to use my equipment to do their test and charge me so much more than when I used to go and use their facility and their equipment, and yet technology is supposedly making everything easier and quicker but does it really cost that much? Once a programme is written it’s reused to everybody, so what happened to economies of scale? I don’t believe any human interaction costs have been incurred by them. I log in, follow the instructions and undertake test, I provide them with the photograph it’s processed by a computer, which allows the computer to proceed with the exam, the results are issued instantly by the computer and a new card is produced by a computer and posted out - maybe human interaction required here?
So where are their costs?

Gas is controlled, so there's already a framework to copy
Do you really think the Statutory Instrument for the installation of Gas could be used to prepare a Statutory Instrument for the installation of electrical circuits, even if only in domestic installations?

This is the problem, the law isn't tight enough, as long as anyone can fiddle with electrics, the value of being registered is undermined
The value of being properly qualified is what is being more undermined and that is by the schemes themselves as registration only means you meet the absolute minimum requirements

The value of being properly qualified is what is being more undermined and that is by the schemes themselves as registration only means you meet the absolute minimum requirements
I would agree. I took advantage of the introduction of part p to retrain as an electrician without undergoing a 4 year apprenticeship. It's fair to say I had previously completed a technician apprenticeship, but I spent a lot of time learning on the job the hard way. Not really how it should be done.

The industry needs to get tighter rather than the vague position we currently have, with tighter restrictions on working with electrics in general.

Do you really think the Statutory Instrument for the installation of Gas could be used to prepare a Statutory Instrument for the installation of electrical circuits, even if only in domestic installations?
It's a model to work from. Gas has the advantage of going bang in a big way, electrics tend to burn places down in a less spectacular fashion, so doesn't get the same attention.

Even gassafe has it's problems around 5 years ago it took 4 gassafe engineers over 4 days to service my mother in laws gas fire the first 3 left leaks on the fire the fourth fixed it and went back to the office and went ballastic over the first 3

And thats just one of many that I know of where gassafe accredited engineers have screwed up

Let’s be honest, a badge/scheme/recognition means absolutely NOTHING, it is the quality of the individual at the time that gives all that a meaning.
There is no integrity in any scheme/badge/affiliation anymore, no provider has the back bone to instill/police it, I spoke to Niccy recently and put this to one of them and they are in total denial, still believe that their badge carries integrity and meaning, I corrected him and pointed out that most quality sparks would disagree, but sadly the quality is outweighed by the easy riders that Niccy allow in so they’ll never know the truth.

Oh well let’s not fool ourselves!

It's a model to work from. Gas has the advantage of going bang in a big way, electrics tend to burn places down in a less spectacular fashion, so doesn't get the same attention.
That's the way NVQ's are put together, use already established questions and put them in a different context, but I don't think this would work for Electrical Installation Legislation.

Last edited:
I can not see how the Gas Safe legislation would be helpful to any Electrical legislation, we are talking about detailed Regulations to improve the standard of installations, not a general guide.

What I object too is the smoke and mirrors in the way the CPS's don't disclose their profits - which really just tells me that they are making far too much money.

Sure they are businesses and need to make a profit BUT

hum …. in the case of Napit no, the NICEIC has part claiming to be but none of their results are available to all and sundry.

may be the SNP treasurer has been moon lighting 😂
The NICEIC accounts are available they hide under Certsure, here is the last set https://tinyurl.com/mrenhxta

With NAPIT it is a bit more difficult due to the number of different companies they operate under https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/search?q=NAPIT so it's take your pick and look at the filed accounts for each company. Some of the director listings and filed accounts are interesting with some directors having 30 - 40 directorships each

The NICEIC accounts are available they hide under Certsure, here is the last set https://tinyurl.com/mrenhxta

With NAPIT it is a bit more difficult due to the number of different companies they operate under https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/search?q=NAPIT so it's take your pick and look at the filed accounts for each company. Some of the director listings and filed accounts are interesting with some directors having 30 - 40 directorships each

Lots of smoke and lots of mirrors

Latest posts