EICR Condition Report Electrical Installation Condition Report

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky Tesla

Reaction score
So do we HAVE to use the new EICRs in the new year or can we keep using the old PIRs.

I have not seen one yet, let alone had a 1/2 day course to update.

Top of page 7 of green BS7671...

"Intended to come into effect on 1 Jan 2012"

That includes the whole book..

including EICR's bit in part 6, regs 634.1 & 2 page 196

and Appendix 6

page 396 onward is the EICR

is how I read it....... :C

Unless you can see any other guidance???

As of midnight on the 31/12/11 the new Amd comes into force in full and there are very few limited situations where you can utilise the old book and certificates.

Certainly not for ANY, NEW works starting from then.

Cant we use night vision goggles and satellite tracking?? :| :(
Not until the 26th of December, Mate - Santa has them on loan. :D

As i thought, but my firm doesnot have any new pads yet and i will still be expected to do the tests. Don't really want to create waves in this economy.

Half day course to learn how to put ticks and codes in a list?

Takes 30 mins to read it and be confident enough to use it

As i thought, but my firm doesnot have any new pads yet and i will still be expected to do the tests. Don't really want to create waves in this economy.
well your not going to be able to do any EICR's until they get the new certs then

the only exception to amd1 is work thats started before it takes effect. but that would have to be 1 large PIR for that to happen

Last edited by a moderator:
The customer will get one copy and the other will be filed away. Nobody official will see them for maybe 6 months. Then the brown stuff will hit the fan. Not my fault, im not the QS (although i should be)

nicky,

you must use the new certs, EICR, after 31/12/2011

otherwise you would not be judged competent, any competent person would/should know the rules regarding his or her job.

if you continue to use out of date certification then I dont see how you could be said to be doing your job, except through ignorance/its always been like this/incompetence.

there has been 6 months transition,

there isnt really any grey area on this IMHO.

Im not being awkward sonny jim. I just know exactly what will happen when i go back to work, ie in the real world.

(Boss) " It will be alright for now, just get these PIR's done and we will sort it out some other time. These need completing ASAP"

Ill let you know if this happens

Nicky,

Thing is you could be held accountable.

I have a "PIR" starting 3/1/12 I can't see how I can do this and be in compliance with BS7671 if I don't "do" an "EICR".

Even though you are not the QS, if you are the person doing the "PIR" then you are signing the form, so "you" are taking responsibility for your work, and you are knowingly working to an obsolete standard.

I "know" the real world is different, but this is one of the BIG problems with the industry, too many people who don't care, will cut corners and will do anything to make a buck, to heck with regs and rules, even IF they do know better.

Im not being awkward sonny jim. I just know exactly what will happen when i go back to work, ie in the real world.(Boss) " It will be alright for now, just get these PIR's done and we will sort it out some other time. These need completing ASAP"

Ill let you know if this happens
you are being awkward. as of 1/1/12, you must work to 7671 amd1. whats so hard to understand about that?

if you dont, then you are not competent, because any competant person would know of the changes to the regs

is your company re'd with a scam provider to carry out PIRs? if so, go ask them.

Isnt the EICR the direct replacement for a PIR, therefore if you have a 'PIR' on 030112 then fill in paperwork for EICR, although there are changes they are doing basically the same thing, if your boss is not got forms then he as the registered person/company/dutyholder is responsible.

Changes take effect from midnight 31/12/11, straight forward IMO

because any competant person would know of the changes to the regs

Competant?...........You can't even spell the word;)

My understanding is that we should either:

a. Comply with the Regs

or

b. If we don't comply, doing something which is at least as safe.

If I did a PIR on Monday (3/1/12) rather than an EICR, how would this be less safe?

Come on Nicky, yes you are absolutely correct on the spelling!

However, can you understand the gist of the point made?

Few of us pick on spelling unless it is a joke, this is a request of Admin, as the forum is not an English Language, Grammar, Spelling and Literature Examination, and I see the smiley face, but, this could be serious for you if it goes wrong, employed or not.

I "wish" I could be free to try to correct grammar, spelling etc. more than I do as it could be helpful for those (and this is not specifically aimed at you, as yours seems quite good, and we all make typo's, me included) who are not spelling and grammar experts to use this to improve their correct use of language for their business communications if they are self employed, then perhaps they could increase their chance of winning customers?

I for one, if I find any spelling, or grammatical errors in a document use it as a means to sort & sift them, if I have many of the same, such as I had when I was employing and receiving job applications.

p.s. My posts on here are not "perfect" due to the medium, so I appreciate that others may have the same attitude, but seeing the way that some posts made by posters looking for placements etc. would make me discount them straight away.

Sorry to detract from your Post Nicky Tesla and sorry to distract from the thread, however, this is the "norm" round here! ;)