EICR Unsatisfactory - need advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking like this EICR  needs scrunching up into a ball and tossing into the nearest bin .   How many oddities are there?   

I don't do that many because those who phone reel at the cost ....."  Ooooohh Dear  I was told it would be no more than £50 "    Well if the inspection was the other side of Brum  the travelling would be an hour  so £25  left to do the inspect and report.  :C   As we say in the States  ..you do the math . 

OP says that the report was done last year, so has expired already

Actually all speculation and discussion regarding the inconsistent information contained in the report is irrelevant, as has been pointed out by Rob_the_rich, it is now expired and the installation needs retesting. As the Report date was 3 March 2015, and they recommend it be re-inspected after 3 Months. Additionally why wasn't the next inspection label on the front of the consumer unit updated. Surely regulation 514.12.1 ought to have been one of the easiest compliances with if they did a periodic inspection.

Doc H

I spoke to the NICEIC technical helpline and he said that all of the C2 should be C3 (subject to supplementary bonding, which we have)

I spoke to the electrician who did the report and he said that he can see that 1) and 4) should be C3, but still believes that 2) and 5) are C2.

To recap:

1)  4.19 No RCD protection for fault protection  C2

2)  4.20 No RCD protection for additional protection  C2

3)  5.12.3 No RCD protection for circuits buried in floors walls ceilings  C3

4)  8.1 No RCD protection for circuits entering special location  C2

5)  No cooker outlet present   C2

Try to get that in writing from the electrician, then show this to the buyer and say that 50% of the works are now satisfactory, so you will only reduce by £250, seems the best and quickest way to go. Or fit a cooker outlet and reduce by £125, and/or add RCD protection to the (bathroom) lights and change the cooker switch and don't reduce.

Try to get the regulation number for the cooker outlet, I can't think of one. But don't get the electrician angry if you need the changes in writing, the report is expired after all and they could wipe their hands of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like now our buyer wants the installation "made safe" before she moves in next Friday.  Anyone fancy doing an EICR in Cambridge and happy to classify these as C3s? (Assuming no other faults of course) :)

Sorry, I missed that.  Can't remember exactly (would have to look it up).  I think it was around £120?  Also can't remember how long, maybe about an hour?  It's a 1-bed flat.

Sorry, I missed that.  Can't remember exactly (would have to look it up).  I think it was around £120?  Also can't remember how long, maybe about an hour?  It's a 1-bed flat.

Thanks ... 1 hour is not long enough imho

There are rather to many holes in the EICR for it to be taken seriously....

I spoke to the NICEIC technical helpline and he said that all of the C2 should be C3 (subject to supplementary bonding, which we have)

I spoke to the electrician who did the report and he said that he can see that 1) and 4) should be C3, but still believes that 2) and 5) are C2.

To recap:

1)  4.19 No RCD protection for fault protection  C2

2)  4.20 No RCD protection for additional protection  C2

3)  5.12.3 No RCD protection for circuits buried in floors walls ceilings  C3

4)  8.1 No RCD protection for circuits entering special location  C2

5)  No cooker outlet present   C2

This one still puzzles me big time - he's not commenting on the location of the switch and its NOT unusual for the cable from the isolation switch to run directly to the cooker - so why the C2?

As for the socket on the isolation switch ....

Is the cooker outlet actually something else not the socket? He mentioned something low level?

there is usually a cooker outlet (connection box) below the bench surface where the cable between cooker and fixed wiring connects to and is the preferred method, but there is nothing to say there must be one and that you cant have the cable out of the wall an into the cooker

Looks like now our buyer wants the installation "made safe" before she moves in next Friday.  Anyone fancy doing an EICR in Cambridge and happy to classify these as C3s? (Assuming no other faults of course) :)

The buyer has no knowledge or information about if the installation is or isn't safe. From reference information provided by forum members and your own communications with NICEIC, it is clear that the document you have provided a copy is (a) completed with incorrect information entered into the boxes, (b) has already expired by the date inspected and the duration before next inspection recommendation, (c) so therefore it is an irrelevant document to use for any form of assessment of the current condition of the installation.

I doubt you would use an out-of-date MOT certificate that didn't relate to the vehicle you are purchasing when considering the road-worthiness of a second-hand car you are buying?  Your document in my opinion is just as irrelevant, {see my earlier post #62}  All of the questions about the codes and unsatisfactory evaluation should have been addressed during March 2015, Not nearly 19 months later when this report was only considered valid for 3 months by the person undertaking the "inspection".

With a majority of property purchases it tends to be the buyer, not the seller, who pays for any inspection and testing of the condition of the installation. I would leave them to pay for an inspection if they want it. My gut feeling is that this installation is not unsafe, although it may not be as safe as an installation done to comply with current regulations. I would also think that the original electrician has no further obligations to you as the work was paid for and has not been queried for over 12 months and has expired now anyway!

Doc H

Doc H, I think you are correct.  It's our fault that our solicitors asked us if we had a certificate and we sent through what we had.  In hindsight that's our mistake and we shouldn't have sent it (being out of date).

Sadly, what has happened has happened and the buyer is insisting we get a new certificate, so we need one by Friday.  Learn something new every day...  Thanks for all your help guys!

Latest posts