Electric help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a reply from letting agents 

Hi Mr...

Sorry for the delay in any reply - We have been waiting the electrician to come back to me regarding how and best way we can separate and add a meter 

He has come back to me yesterday and he will be contacting you for access to be able to quote for this 

That's progress of a sort BUT to do this properly a supplier WILL have to add a 2nd meter, preferably in the upstairs flat and that's something  the electrician wont be able to organise - so may be you could start the conversation with Bulb about adding a 2nd meter to see what they say .............., because you may have to get UK power networks involved.

Then who should be paying for the works - I would say the landlord and then who and how are they going to "split" your bills which you have been incurring ? I simply don't believe that the Landlord isn't aware of this, nor the person in the other flat

This is messy BUT don't give up because it will resolve all the issues in 1 go. 

Also you need to be asking your agent for a copy of the EICR for your flat too - this could make interesting reading

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a reply from letting agents 

Hi Mr...

Sorry for the delay in any reply - We have been waiting the electrician to come back to me regarding how and best way we can separate and add a meter 

He has come back to me yesterday and he will be contacting you for access to be able to quote for this 

Semi good news...

as its a confirmation that they agree it is wired incorrectly..

BUT..  the landlord should have been well aware of the supply arrangements before they even decided to rent out the property..

If you say there is a sub-meter upstairs..

I would have thought the landlord should have paid the whole bill..

Then divide the charges proportionately between you and the other tenant by taking readings from both meters..

And had details of how charges would be divided written into the tenancy agreements..

It still all sounds as though either the landlord is not properly competent enough to be a landlord..

OR  they knew exactly whet they are doing and were hoping to get away with it!

:C

BUT..  the landlord should have been well aware of the supply arrangements before they even decided to rent out the property..
so the question is .... is their any guidance or legislation that says a rental property should have its own meter?

I know if I had done an EICR on this property I would have certainly commented on this set up but not so sure it could be given a C2 

so the question is .... is their any guidance or legislation that says a rental property should have its own meter?

I know if I had done an EICR on this property I would have certainly commented on this set up but not so sure it could be given a C2 

Unless the wiring is actually dangerous..

it cannot be coded as being either an immediate or potential danger..

And strictly speaking the number, position or method of metering isn't actually part of the customers installation..

If you look at guidance about changing energy suppliers..

It is acceptable for a landlord to pay for all energy then build those costs into the tenancy agreement..

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/how-switch-energy-supplier-and-shop-better-deal/how-switch-energy-supplier-if-you-re-tenant

But the tenant is paying the bills directly, then the tenant has the right to choose / change energy supplier..

So basically as I read it... 

providing the tenancy agreement is set out correctly,  there is no obligation for every tenant to have their own meter. 

:C

O the landlord knows about this I’m sure just turned a blind eye 

Unless the wiring is actually dangerous..

it cannot be coded as being either an immediate or potential danger..

And strictly speaking the number, position or method of metering isn't actually part of the customers installation..

I know that, and I do wonder why NAPIT code breakers think it does !

If it was me doing the EICR I would at the very least comment on it 

and as for having a single meter / the landlord paying - doesn't sound like the agent knows what is going on either - what a shambles.

If it was me doing the EICR I would at the very least comment on it 

Certainly a comment as you will have ticked the boxes confirming you have visually inspected the distributors supply/intake equipment..

But can't really code the connection method..

and if it was dangerous you probably wouldn't be doing much else without reporting it first anyway! 

I would of thought hanging the live black electrical cable over the top of my back door would be dangerous? 

That looks totally non-compliant. A GE board with two brands of non -compatible protective devices.

That looks totally non-compliant. A GE board with two brands of non -compatible protective devices.

Pre 18th edition mix and match was OK - and that board is VERY pre 18th edition.

So obvious next question is has your landlord passed you a copy of the EICR done in March yet?

Yes he came and done that in March was here few hours put a sticker on cu next inspection 2026 now 

dont have the certification of it either 

Pre 18th edition mix and match was OK - and that board is VERY pre 18th edition.

So obvious next question is has your landlord passed you a copy of the EICR done in March yet?
It's never been okay the 18th Ed just reinforced the error of people's ways.

Yes he came and done that in March was here few hours put a sticker on cu next inspection 2026 now 

dont have the certification of it either 
You are entitled to see the Report and without seeing it we cannot surmise its content.

Considering you carry out regular Periodics I find it worrying you take this stance.

Considering you carry out regular Periodics I find it worrying you take this stance.

tell me where in pre 18th edition is says you can’t mix and match. You can’t go around being the electrical police with nothing to back it up

fwiw, I have never done it but it would seem many people are still doing it now