electric shock?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rubber mat. condoms are made from latex. is this an electricians forum or a plumbers haha.

Would we not hope that it took more than 30mA to kill the average person, not less? :| I think the asphyxiation would be very quick and not especially agonising.

The ventricular fibrillation you speak of would be very quick. Actually a leathal electric shock would be a quick and painless way to go.
Your hands will pretty much lock on to a conductor at about 10mA and up. Even 4mA is sore. See the dangerously delightful device on my website that goes up to 8mA in a controlled manner:-

http://www.bigclive.com/tickle.htm

Getting any shock above about 10mA is likely to result in muscle contraction that could prevent you from letting go of conductive objects. The pain is quite simply excrutiating espacially at the point of contact due to the concentration of the current to a small nerve area.

The asphyxiation is caused by contraction of the diaphragm which prevents breathing and it would not be a pleasant death for the duration of your consciousness.

Higher currents in the region of 50mA upwards through an amp are required to cause heart issues while really high currents tend to blow you clear and possibly cause a whole heart contraction that leaves it bruised but still in sync.

The threshold of 30mA applied to modern RCDs is a compromise between safety and nuisance tripping. 29mA sustained hand to hand would be a horrendous experience even if it didn't adversely affect your heart.

DIY books seem to imply that an RCD makes electricity safe. They don't. They make it safer, but you can still get a strong shock to earth and they won't do anything at all if you get between live and neutral.

And yes, I've had some pretty strong shocks and at least one life threatening close shave throughout my career.

I have passed my first year in 2330 , and according to what i have learned in college as far as health and safety is concern , it says one of the questions on my exam which i knew i have answered it right that before doing anything on a live wire , the first thing to do is ..... to unplug or make sure that the power is off ..... i just dont understand why you guys need to touch the live wire ... I think i really need to study more about this because i am bit confused why some of you were touching live cables or wires ...can i do that as well????

NOTE: to the GODFATHER ( THE DON ) can i touch live wires or cable too ???

im surprised this page hasnt been pulled already! as it seems very dangerous in my honest opinionX(X(X(X( X(
To badger > how are you its jhun, I just change my id into LPlate..

the first thing to do is ..... to unplug or make sure that the power is off ..... i just dont understand why you guys need to touch the live wire ... I think i really need to study more about this because i am bit confused why some of you were touching live cables or wires ...can i do that as well????
its not always practical to isolate. most times you got a choice: pull fuse (live) or cut tails and fit into isolator (live). not really a 'dead' option...

you can touch live cables if you want, but i wouldnt recommend trying it on your own. at least make sure there is a spark watching over you

If your working and the system is live you must have a very good reason, otherwise isolate.

I never touch any live cables and would stongly advise anyone of doing so.

I had a very nasty return neutral shock off a 3 phase board and I remember the pain to this day, and the bloody bang, when it arc'd.

If working live you should always do it in pairs, never on your own.

Electricity is dangerous at all times.

If your working and the system is live you must have a very good reason, otherwise isolate.
is 'the DNO passed request to someone else, who passed to someone else, who didnt know what a fuse was, then got lost in system and no-one turned up to isolate' a good reason? unfortunatly, its easier to DIY

as dangerous as it sounds, cutting a live tail and fitting into an isolator is very easy to do (providing you have the correct protection/tools!)

as dangerous as it sounds, cutting a live tail and fitting into an isolator is very easy to do (providing you have the correct protection/tools!)
I agree, and anyone who has worked on the tools for any length of time must have done it, I have.

However if I do not know the competancy of some one who asks me if its ok I would rather tell them not to. :^O

I agree, and anyone who has worked on the tools for any length of time must have done it, I have.However if I do not know the competancy of some one who asks me if its ok I would rather tell them not to. :^O
tell them not to, but if there gonna do it, then you telling them not to aint gonna help. might aswell give a few tips to at least try and keep them safe

I have been working for a year and a half now and not received a shock yet, few close shaves getting carried away and trying to rush, and i blew a hole into my snips when i didnt test before i stripped some plinth lights. The lads take the mick because i have not got a belt yet, and they promise to set me up! gits.

I know i prob will get one in time but i defin will not be increasing my chances by touching a live non insulated conductor. nuts!!! :p

The idea is to do it safely so you never receive a shock.

It only takes 1 shock to kill you., and as Andy has said if people are going to work live then always use the correct personal protection kits.

Gloves, insulated tools and a good clear face visor.

The last one helps keep your eyes should a large arc flash destroy a board in your face.

is 'the DNO passed request to someone else, who passed to someone else, who didnt know what a fuse was, then got lost in system and no-one turned up to isolate' a good reason? unfortunatly, its easier to DIYas dangerous as it sounds, cutting a live tail and fitting into an isolator is very easy to do (providing you have the correct protection/tools!)
I personally would never work live fitting isolator, I would either take tails out of meter or pull main fuse what is the point.

Batty

why didnt you connect that device between live and neutral?!
Because if L and N were transposed then the case would be live. Sockets miswired in this manner are not uncommon.

i wear high heels while working on live wires, not because they help i just like the feel of them and how they make my legs look longer. mmmmmmm
It's an interesting thought that the reduced cross-sectional (or should I say cross-sexual) area of the high heel may offer an increased impedance to the fault current. Thereby potentially limiting the severity of any shock.

It's a good idea, and I think I'm going to try it myself. Yes I think a nice pair of red ones. And if it works I'll mention it to my project manager.

On a serious note; why not take your trainers off and megger the soles to see what reading you get?

Also is any part of your body touching anything, wall or steps or anything?

I remeber at college this kid come in and said when he was up a wooden pair of steps and holding a live wire he only got a shock when he touched the wall. Needless to say, we found his contribution very entertaining.

Finally, What are you doing working in trainers? Should be boots man! Big, strong, rugged, tough guy boots like Jimmy Nail wears in Auf weidersein. ROTFWL

Last edited by a moderator:
seems to me ive caused quite a stir. not bad for my first post eh ladies. ive only got shocks before by accident alot of people here think i do it dilibriate so you must be idiots to think that. most of the time its just touching an exposed wire thats loose in a socket or connector block or somthing like that. and iam only barely touched it ever so slightly. so no worries iam still alive to reply back to your posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts