Electric sockets for outside but undercover!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the outdoor environment you have a limited choice as the accessories will need to have a suitable IP rating
Just wondered if there was a socket similar to a standard household socket but with increased IP rating (I know a garden socket - I was hoping for something in between).
Why given that the installation is outdoors

Are you building the wall around this installation or are you chasing it into a finished wall
I’m building the wall around the installation. The concrete blocks have two hollow cores each so I’m trying to decide best routes for cabling/ conduit and best place for sockets to eliminate risk of getting wet from rain.
Is it that the search results are not compatible with what you want to do
No - If I found the answers within my search I wouldn’t have bothered the forum. I’m not looking for answers to fit-in with my preferences. I’m looking for the right answers to do it right. On this when I say I couldn’t find the answers, what I was referring to was, I couldn’t find an outbuilding with two open sides, therefore found no information on what you can and cannot do.
So I asked.
I find it worrying that you are even asking this

Have you thought of using https://www.electricpoint.com/mk-ma...SgsL59Py7yBSOAka-sd9E2hIizqVzPYUaAqOdEALw_wcB
with the MK outdoor sockets, I have used quite a few and they make the outdoor sockets less obtrusive
Exactly - Something less obtrusive - Not as obtrusive as I like with the IP66 but looks like it could work - Thanks
Burying SWA cable in a wall is asking for future problems you would probably be better using plastic conduit
The SWA won’t be buried in the wall - Not sure where this came from!! Standard electrical wire will be used from seating area fuse board

The mind boggles as to what "fuse board" you are going to install and where you are going to install it for the outside seating area

House consumer unit —-> SWA —-> Seating area small consumer unit.
Installed in a cupboard within the gazebo
I assume you mean you are installing SWA in underground ducting
Yes - I know it’s not required but rather safe then sorry
And the big question, given this is a DIY project how do you intend to test and verify the finished installation complies with and meets the requirements of BS7671 so you can
I’m trying to cover all possible options. If I install conduit in the wall which isn’t used I’m fine with that should my plans change.
I’ll be installing back boxes and conduit ensuring everything is accessible and easily for sparky to feed cables through.
Family Friend will be wiring it up.
minimise the risk of a fatality
This is why there are no silly question just silly answers!!!

Thanks UNG much appreciated for you time and comments.

The family friend who is going to wire it up - can we assume he is a qualified sparks? your first point of call should be him to find out what he will be happy to sign off - its his name on the certificate and his liability. If this is not the case I would advise engaging a qualified person to have a look and advise.
Outside environments can be very harsh on electrical installations, even ones with accessory's designed to be outside. Its fine on a new installation in the summer, but after a couple of winters and on a damp day!!!

Just wondered if there was a socket similar to a standard household socket but with increased IP rating (I know a garden socket - I was hoping for something in between).
Unfortunately nothing IP rated looks pretty, and there is no in-between options I've ever seen.

The only other option is to hard wire whatever you want to plug in to a bank of switches, similar to what people do for garden lighting and ponds, but then the appliances will need to be IP rated.

found an 4 gang extension on a bin bag many years ago.
I'll top trump that
Call out last week, garage RCD tripped
Outside IP socket
LEAD PLUGGED IN
unplugged lead, fault cleared
Customer said it went to tree lights, joined in DriBox
Unplugged tree lights
Plugged back in IP socket
Fault returned
Traced wire from IP socket to a 4 gang extension socket in a plantpot full of water under a bush

found an 4 gang extension on a bin bag many years ago.

I'll top trump that
Call out last week, garage RCD tripped
Outside IP socket
LEAD PLUGGED IN
unplugged lead, fault cleared
Customer said it went to tree lights, joined in DriBox
Unplugged tree lights
Plugged back in IP socket
Fault returned
Traced wire from IP socket to a 4 gang extension socket in a plantpot full of water under a bush
Shortly after I moved into my house I had to replace the decking boards as they were rotten. There was a water feature on the decking so I had to move it. I traced the cable through to under the decking where it was plugged into a metal surface mount socket via a 3 pin plug. The IP for the socket was provided by an ice cream tub wrapped in gaffer tape. The socket was fed via T&E wired into a 2 gang light switch in the conservatory.

Latest posts