Electrical Certificate for Rented Property

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ1109

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Need a bit of advice please.

I've been asked could I do an electrical certificate for a property my mate wants to rent out.Am I right in thinking this would this be carried out using the EICR form? He reckons on paying

As it's likely to be the first time the place has been inspected since it was built, I always recommend a thorough PIR (sorry eicr). So, greater than 75% inspection, tests on all circuits. Very few limitations.

For a typical 3 bed house allow a full day, plus typing up the report.

I have my own take on this and I'm sure it will attract a bunch of critism from the majority.

From the point of view of the landlord, he doesn't want his property ripped apart by an enthusiastic electrician every year or two, all he wants to know is that the previous tenant hasn't kicked the s**t out of the place prior to departing, and is the next tenant likely to die from an obvious problem with the electrics. For the average landlord, a full PIR recorded on a EICR is over the top but, conversely, a Visual Condition Report (as offered by NIC) is often seen as no better than a second-hand car dealer giving your tyres a kick and deciding whether to buy your car or not.

I offer an inspection which falls midway between these two extremes even though it is NOT recognised by the industry. In effect, it is a VCR with limited testing. Unlike a VCR, my meter actually goes into the property with me AND gets taken out of its' box. My long lead goes in with me, too.

Because the property is (usually) empty, I have a quick look around the consumer unit and check for any damage to the cables and for the presence of bonding. Then I whip the earth out and take a Ze. I also look for the presence of RCDs and make a note on the report if none present. Then I isolate the bonding conductors and do a R2 with my long lead to prove they are connected (to something, anyway, as cross-bonding might skew the results sometimes).

Next, I walk all round the property and look for any signs of physical damage to the accessories and open a few up to check tightness of the terminal screws. If I find a few loose ones, I open up a lot more and give them all a tweak. Any broken accessories get replaced on the spot and charged extra for. The old ones are left as evidence for the landlord.

If there is a shower, I open it up and do a Zs. I also take a Zs at every socket in the property and at the cooker point if it has an assocciated socket. All results are recorded.

I check that switches do what they should and that there are no unearthed metal accessories. If there are, they get changed for plastic and are charged extra, same as above.

Finally, if there are RCDs, they get tested on both AUTO and RAMP and the results recorded. Then the push button gets checked.

What I dont get hung up on is things like no sleeving to the earths in light switches or single-colour green insulation - I cant recall anyone dying of these faults.

I generally take a couple of hours to perform this level of inspection and the landlord gets charged about

mmm,

I think you will find you are doing a PIR, albeit with quite a lot of limitations, and I think you will find that said insurance cos will look at it that way too.

and I dont see that it that far away from what I do for a >25% PIR TBH, :|

mmm,I think you will find you are doing a PIR, albeit with quite a lot of limitations, and I think you will find that said insurance cos will look at it that way too.

and I dont see that it that far away from what I do for a >25% PIR TBH, :|
Maybe, but the point I am trying to make is that I don't need to go pulling all the wires out and testing every circuit, I just check those aspects that I feel could be dangerous. Thats why I call my report a Landlords Electrical Report.

I wont always issue one. For instance, if I see lead or rubber-sheathed cables or if I find evidence of damp behind a socket face, I wont do one. Its a full-blown PIR or nothing.

We have a lot of holiday properties here and, to be honest, most of them are in fair-to-good condition. If it was going to cost landlords

Thanks to all who took the time to respond and share their thoughts,knowledge and experience.Liked the one by "Springcrocus" who went into quite a bit of detail which was good.I did actually think it was quite an in depth test and thought you had to test everything hence the comment about the

Springcrocus

While I agree with a lot of what you say, you are missing (to me) one vital test, and that is an end to end test on ring finals.

It doesn't take long so it's one thing I never miss out however basic the testing is.