Electrician training

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy2107

Reaction score
Hello, I was full time as a firefighter 4 days on and then 4 days off. I'd like t train as an electrician. Can I do this by attending evening classes obtaining C & G 2391, 2382, 2377 etc? Or do I have to do an NVQ and be assessed whilst working for an employer? Thank you

You could go through evening classes but you will find it a little hard without any practical experiance.

In my opinion you learn more hands on than they can ever teach you in night school.

I know (not personally) people who have gone through the route you describe who now are electricians, but lack the required experiance in my view.

Skippy - hello and welcome

Are you still a fireman? You indicate that may be past tense?

Admin - 'the creator' of this fine forum is learning at night school. If you appreciate that you will have to do some hands on work too (maybe FOC) then it's is certianally a route in.

Beware of hugly expensive courses offering to turn you into a 'qualified electrician' in a few weeks!

:)

I would agree that there are some very silly courses offered by private money making companies offering you a quickfix to become an electrician.

You would have to start some where and an evening class at your local college would be a good start and would be the cheaper option (work permitting?) but bear in mind you are looking at a long haul of several years training.

You will get some practical experience at college but not quite like in the real world so if you can find someone to work with maybe on a part time basis, you will pick up more experience.

There isn't an end to learning in the electrical game as its on an ongoing basis.

Good luck! ;)

I'm still a fireman and want to carry on working while I train. Basically I want to emigrate to Canada and need a trade. I've always liked electrics so thought it would be a good route to take. I can't take the NVQ route as I need to keep working in my current job. I've read elsewhere that you can't qualify through C & G courses alone? Where as some sites state if you do 2391 and 2382 you will become a qualified electrician? Cheers

Hello Skippy, Welcome to the forum.

Yes Mate - I am studying Part-time two Evenings a week.

I am coning to the end of my C&G 2330 now.

I did my 2382-100 last year (17th Edition).

I will be going back in September to do my 2392

And them I will do my 2391. I was originally going to do the C&G PAT Course, but with the charges being so low for PAT, and the cost of the course so high, I decided to "Put that one on hold".

I am lucky. The course in my college for the 2330 was 2 years. From September it is going to be 3 Years and at a higher cost too. :eek:

You will be a qualified electrician - But what I have been told is you need the NVQ 3 and the AM2 to be fully Qualified.

With regards to the emigrating, there are several people in know in that - but there is one that springs top mind - and that is our "Steptoe". Wait 'til he signs in later.

Good Luck in your studies. :D

Hello Skippy, Welcome to the forum.Yes Mate - I am studying Part-time two Evenings a week.

I am coning to the end of my C&G 2330 now.

I did my 2382-100 last year (17th Edition).

I will be going back in September to do my 2392

And them I will do my 2391. I was originally going to do the C&G PAT Course, but with the charges being so low for PAT, and the cost of the course so high, I decided to "Put that one on hold".

I am lucky. The course in my college for the 2330 was 2 years. From September it is going to be 3 Years and at a higher cost too. :eek:

You will be a qualified electrician - But what I have been told is you need the NVQ 3 and the AM2 to be fully Qualified.

With regards to the emigrating, there are several people in know in that - but there is one that springs top mind - and that is our "Steptoe". Wait 'til he signs in later.

Good Luck in your studies. :D
It would appear a long way around but I would and do admire the commitment that you and people like you have in doing the correct qualifications to get recognised.

When I did my training in the late 1970's you could walk from one job to the other, there is no chance of that nowadays.

I feel very bitter that electrics in the home is not taken as serious as gas.

A recent survey conducted on behalf of the Electrical Safety Council found that almost 86% of house holders where aware of the regulations in relation to corgi and gas fittings, but less the 40% where even aware of part P.

For me becomming an electrician was easy, for any one doing it now it is very hard, for most you have to spend your own money which to me is a shame.

Full respect from me goes to any one doing an electricians course through night school, you deserve a good job and recognition of your commtment.

It is suprising how much you actually pick up from an electrical / electrician talk forum, such as this finest one here.

It is through the experience of you Guys and Girls that make that happen, and for that I am truely grateful. :x

Your the only true life vet I know with a sense of humour to match an electrician.

Tell your GF your safe.

Whats his name from the tele

Oh thats him from all creatures great and small, all the ladies loved him, because he likes puupys and *******.

LOL sorry for the inuendo

Or Mark something or other - Not a very nice chap in person though - Apparently. :|