Electrician training

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true words from Mr Hornet. Our college tutor holds a technicians card etc, one day he was digging out a trench on site, another spark turns up, he asks if hes gonna give him a hand block turns round "Im an Approved Electrician i dont dig trenches thats a laborers job". Way i see it if a job needs doing it has to get done doesnt matter what your job title is.
We had a similar case, we quoted a job to clean light fittings, one sparks would'nt do it , same reason , we let him go and me (as Supervisor) and the gaffer did them.

Talking about snobbishness, two cases. We had a subbie work for us a few years back, excellent sparks, always changed into decent clothes before going home, always owned the latest car. Reason :- He did'nt want his neighbours to know he was a manual worker !!

There was a fellow apprentice who did the same, although we were on a building site he washed at a tap sticking out the ground, put his gladrags on and went into the city centre to meet his office worker mates at a fashionable bar. Told them he was a trainee architect, I believe.

Thanks again for your answers fellas. I've just read elsewhere that you need your NVQ to work abroad? Also what are your views on these fast track courses which say you can qualify in 8 months. I would get practical experience once qualified before I tried to work abroad. One post said if I got my 2330 and 2391 that work make me fully qualified?