Email supplier??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpend

"It Just Is"
Reaction score
Well I have been paying BT £1.60 per month for the continued use of my email addresses since I did away with their broadband package, which was no hardship, however they have just informed me that this price is going up to £5 per month, which seems a bit ridiculous to pay. Problem is I am currently with sky for broadband, however they seemingly have a no email address facility or should I say a very poor setup, so where else can I get an email address? I did try gmail but they wanted an actual email address to set up a gmail account which seems pretty pointless. I'm trying to avoid the likes of hotmail as heard too many bad experiences, so suggestions please??

You could buy a domain name and host it smewhere (@canoeboy) and setup email. Probably not be much cheaper than BT though as Domain name prices hve just gone up a bit. Another option is to go with gmail. The email you provide is just to verify you and if you lose you password. give them the mrs's or a friend / family member.

I've now setup a couple gmail accounts, not sure how I'll recover if ever need too, if the bt email address isn't live?

talking of which I have a Dropbox account which is setup on the bt account, is there any way to change the email account linked to the Dropbox account from the BT account?

+1 to buy a domain name.

The cost of a domain name and a cheap hosting package will be less than £5 per month, and you can then have any address you want.

We have about 4 domain names for businesses and personal use (the most recent being the name of the new house)

the domain host also hosts the email service.

The BIG advantage is you don't have to pay a ransom fee or change address when you change ISP.  I don;t think I have ever used my :mad:btinternet address that they insist you choose when you sign up.

I have a BT email address  and a Hotmail  for EvansElectric which , I agree , attracts a great deal of spam and iinternational ladies with very expicit desires quite often .

But on saying that , I didn't change it because of letterheads and peolple being used to it  etc but it does actually seem to function OK .

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't go with it again though.      I tried to create a second BT email address ,  ( You can have up to 10 !!!!)   it says  .    Yeah ! Try creating one ....impossible.

I have a business email and as soon as I get a spam email through I always go through the unsubscribe link. I really get spam keeping to this rule. 

I also have an email address through my domain... well several actually

Cost <£40 for domain, basic website hosting and upto 20 email accounts (although they are limited to 500Mb IIRC)...

That's for 2 years BTW 

The problem with sky is that if you want more than one address say for family members then you have to create a new sky iD every time you also have to have an existing email address which is different to the email address you used to create another sky id with, so where previously I had several email address all registered too ONE account this way I'll need several accounts. Now given that the rest of he family don't have an original email address to use to set up their individual sky id, well we're pretty much ********. Also if they all had an email address why would we want to set up a sky email address?? Sky only use yahoo anyway. 

Personally I would never use my ISP provided email.... because if you ever change your ISP then you're email address is gone

As a free alternative then I'd use Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail.... otherwise I'd get a domain name

I'm sure that I have an ISP email somewhere though as I probably had to set one up when I originally set up my account

You might want to look if any of the domain names based on your family surname are still available. There are a few new ones like .email that would be cool to have yourr family name.emal so you could have [email protected] as your address for instance.