Emergency Lighting Diagrams

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Reaction score
Hi

So I found a program called paint.net and decided to be all artistic

I have drawn some diagrams showing different methods of wiring emergency lighting. I struggled a bit with the understanding and feel a lot more confident so would like to help others who also get a bit confused with it , if you have any questions , criticisms etc then fire away

Drawing one is a 1 way switch, double pole emergency key switch and a neon , when the key switch is turned off this will turn of the normal light and the NEON , the neon is lit to confirm there is mains at the switch , when off it shows a mains

I will add this pic tomorrow however I will apologise in advance for the childlike drawing I have my best arm in a cast as I have broke my wrist hence me having some spare time

1 Way Lighting with Emergency Light mains to the switch.jpg

The drawing is added now , any problems with it feel free to let me know , I am also going to put these in an album on my profile

you cannot use a DP switch for switching of normal lights with em lights installed. it will cut neutral and em light will think there is no power. it will also not charge

your drawing will work when DP switch is left on, and LHS switch is used for switching on normal lighting & neon. however, there is no way to test the em light without loosing normal lighting

also, what exactly are you trying to achieve with the neon? all its going to do is light at the same time as normal lighting. kinda pointless, unless the lighting is remote from the switch

Think I concur with Andy....

But I am little intoximicated GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

BUT I will say like your use of Grey sleeved Blue for neutral

and Black sleeved brown for live.

drawings fine mate, could have used a ruler! lol.

I try and wire my em lighting the way you have shown, killing all the lights makes it easier to show the em's working, also you can measure the lux level produced from the em lighting alone. Obviously there are certain situations where you need to wire it so the remaining lights stay on, factories, etc.

drawings fine mate, could have used a ruler! lol.I try and wire my em lighting the way you have shown, killing all the lights makes it easier to show the em's working, also you can measure the lux level produced from the em lighting alone. Obviously there are certain situations where you need to wire it so the remaining lights stay on, factories, etc.
I know its a bit rough lol It was my 1st attempt and when I realised how to draw lines and do the rectangles and circles etc I though what the heck and got carried away..

I posted this on another forum and a few posters have an issue with the NEON being lit when the Emegency ltg are on charge , they cant the see the point and think the Neon should only be lit when the keyswitch has been knocked off and the emergency lights are working on the battery.

I guess its each to there own and its probably about what people have in the spec

To keep the lights on Id just take a link from the supply side of the key to Com on the 1 way switch and have my Neutrals on the unswitched side of the DP key