Emergency Lighting Maintenance Query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does your fire risk assessment say, and what does the Landlords FRA say about EM lighting?

I am guessing it is a business premises by the way you have worded the question, but, I may be wrong?

So my Missus has just bought the business from her ex employers and has taken on a new lease in the same premises. The tenancy agreement seems to suggest we are responsible for the maintainance of electrical systems. The is no fire alarm which I find strange and the quality of em lighting is poor. I would say it needed a fire alarm to at least cover the escape routes, but thats another matter. The em lights are very dim and need replacing at least.

I will be carrying out various upgrades to DB's and the general electrical installation and providing appropriate certification (70% being pir reports) But just wonder whether I should be certificating the EM's as part of that and if so will they comply if I simply change them and make sure they provide 3hrs of decent light?

She has had a general health and safety check but the em lighting or fire alarms haven't been mentioned so I'm just guessing that's down to the sparky (me) to ensure.

The landlord isn't fussed either obviously!

Thanks again for any advice

Hanky,

NO, you can't do the FRA, unless you are competent, and that is a serious liability, that you MUST ensure that you are insured for.

Undertaking a FRA is not part of the installation electricians remit.

Now IF you are qualified, experienced and competent to do the FRA, then crack on.

From this will come the requirement for the EM lighting.

You may, have to get written permission from the landlord to undertake changes to the communal areas/"their" areas.

Also, the landlord has a statute law duty under the MHSWR to "co-operate & co-ordinate & communicate" over H&S issues.