Employed and self employed?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a lot of people who do this on an unofficial basis!

Personally I don't have the time or energy. I think moonlighters working for cash are doing bona fide business out of work as its hard to compete with them as their whole livelihood doesnt depend on the job its just beer money.

If you register as self-employed with HMRC then there is no legal reason why you cannot do both.

Your employer may be concerned with regards conflict of interest depending on what work you intend to carry out on a self-employed basis. You may have a problem claiming some allowances as you will have to justify any expenditure as being necessary to carry out your second job. In theory this should be straight forward but in practice it may not be if you already work as a spark.

Is this legal and does the Inland Revenue accept this?
Provided you declare all of your earnings HM Revenue and Customs are happy. You can have multiple employers and multiple self employed business ventures, if you can find enough days of the week to fit them in of course.

Doc H.

I notice everyone has assumed it is a spark employed as a spark and also wanting to become a self employed spark. Many opinions answers to questions that weren't asked.

The only real problem, will be compliance with the WTD.

You are supposed to have 11 hours between finishing one shift, and then starting another, and you are supposed to only work 6 days out of 7.

You should also inform your insurance companies, especially your vehicle insurance, if the work you are doing is different from your employed work.

why noy be selfemployed and subcontract to the firm that would employ you?
That would depend on whether HMRC would allow it.

They seem to have lots of regulations about this sort of thing.

Latest posts