Eu To Ban High Power Appliance's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the ban on high power hoovers discussed.

Now, if they really impose a ban on high power electric kettles, then it would finally be proof of what I have long suspected, that they just don't have a clue about the physics involved and all it would do is make it take longer to boil your water.

Nigel Farage knows all this, he is right. Elect UKIP and we can be free of this nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigel Farage, he's a bit of a nutter,

But, he is the only sensible nutter out the right now,

Wasn't there a great visionary in the past that was branded a bit of a nutter,?

I'm not for one minute suggesting dear Nige is anywhere near his level, but he can't be half as bad as the dickheads we currently have.

'energy efficient' kettle... i can just see it taking that long to heat the water, that it gets left on all the time instead of as and when required....

heating elements are already pretty much 100% efficient... how exactly can you make them more efficient by making them lower powered?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an energy efficient kettle onCE I thought it was all green and would use less electricity but all it was clear all the way round so you could see the amount of water in it :lol:

After a while it scaled up and got binned in favour of a non environmentally friendly one.

The only "environmentally friendly" kettle is one like the one we have.

It has two chambers, a storage chamber and a boiling chamber.

You fill the storage one full.  Then you press a button to let just the amount of water you want into the boiling chamber.

Of course you can do that with an ordinary kettle, but people get fed up keep taking it to the tap every time so generally fill it and boil more than they need.

I do this not to save energy, but because I'm an impatient ****** and want the kettle to boil quickly.

And lets remember that for half the year when you are heating your house, that any "wasted" energy from boiling too much just goes to help heating the house.  Reduce wasted energy in the winter and your heating bill goes up pro rata.

What about showers and cookers, camping stoves and ice bucket challenge will be the next recommendation.

Doc H

I can kinda see the thinking behind it. Many appliance manufacturers have been using the kilowatt rating of the appliance as a marketing tool for years. Vacuum cleaners are a prime example where they try to convince the customer that the bigger the kilowatt rating the better the appliance and the more they should be paying for it and consequently we've ended up with artificially bloated motor sizes and appalling efficiencies and hence unnecessary energy usage.

I can also see the argument that a vacuum cleaner is only used occasionally for a relatively short period so how much effect it will have on reducing consumption at a national level is something of an unknown but if other appliances are also targeted for better efficiency such as lawn mowers etc then it could be a considerable saving.

Well,

My lawn mower is 10Hp and I'm not going any smaller, plus, it would be a real pain to have a 100m long extension if I go electric! ;)

LOOPHOLE ALERT:

Actually the directive states :-

Wet, wet and dry, robot, industrial, central and battery
operated vacuum cleaners and floor polishers and
outdoor vacuums have particular characteristics and
should therefore be exempted from the scope of this
Regulation.

http://eur-lex.europ...024:0034:EN:pDF

So a 2KW battery powered vacuum cleaner will still be okay? Even with a tiny battery that might only last a minute or two?

What about if it has an in built charger and a mains lead to keep the tiny battery topped up?