EV Charger...double pole MCB?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

You need a MFT that will do a 6mA DC RCD test... I have the Megger 1741+,   the model below (1741) can't test EVSE's.... there aren't many models that can do it

Can you buy an EV adapter that sits between the MFT and the socket?

if so are they manufacturer specific or could you use , say, a Metrel on a Fluke?

I have the Megger one,,, but they're all pretty much the same really.... except for the Rolec one which is 💩.. it can't test 3ph and feels like it's still in product development

Last edited by a moderator:
Well everyday is a school day. Using my Fluke 1654b today, which I have had for a few years. Almost always have it set to 30mA and auto A.C. Standard old RCD. Anyway I scrolled through the mA settings to see if I could get a variation to give mr 6mA. Anyway , long story short, lo and behold there is a VAR variable setting for tripping current!

tomorrow I shall investigate how low it goes

@kerching

these are the instructions for my 1664? 

Custom RCD Setting – Var mode 
To measure RCD tripping time for a custom RCD setting – Var mode: 
1. Turn the rotary dial to the ∆T (or I∆N for Tripping Current measurement) 
position. 
2. Press  to select the Var current rating. The current custom setting shows 
on the primary display. Use  to adjust the value. 
3. Press  to select a test current multiplier. Normally you will use x 1/2 or 
x 1 for this test. 
4. Repeat steps 4 through 7 listed in the RCD tripping time measurement 
procedure. 
5. To view the nominal setting used for the test, press . 
Note 
The maximum setting for type A RCDs is 700 mA. Var mode is 
not available for type B RCDs. 

@kerching

these are the instructions for my 1664? 

Custom RCD Setting – Var mode 
To measure RCD tripping time for a custom RCD setting – Var mode: 
1. Turn the rotary dial to the ∆T (or I∆N for Tripping Current measurement) 
position. 
2. Press  to select the Var current rating. The current custom setting shows 
on the primary display. Use  to adjust the value. 
3. Press  to select a test current multiplier. Normally you will use x 1/2 or 
x 1 for this test. 
4. Repeat steps 4 through 7 listed in the RCD tripping time measurement 
procedure. 
5. To view the nominal setting used for the test, press . 
Note 
The maximum setting for type A RCDs is 700 mA. Var mode is 
not available for type B RCDs. 
Ah!

mr merlot arrived early and may have clouded my interpretation BUT does this mean my Fluke isn't up to the job?

out of interest how much did that cost you ?

It was £70 for the week once all the vat and delivery each way was added on. It was as a one off to install a charger at my own place. I've no intention of installing them regularly until all this grant business has been ditched so buying one seemed like a waste of money. Obviously if you're planning on doing a few it'd make far more sense to buy one but for a one off I thought it was reasonable.

It was £70 for the week once all the vat and delivery each way was added on. It was as a one off to install a charger at my own place. I've no intention of installing them regularly until all this grant business has been ditched so buying one seemed like a waste of money. Obviously if you're planning on doing a few it'd make far more sense to buy one but for a one off I thought it was reasonable.

Interesting. The extra module for my Metrel is about £400 and I've just been asked to look to install a EV point  ............ my though is to buy the module then charge £50 per EV install I do to cover the  cost.

I've seen far to many rushed poor EV installs to get interested in doing them and as the IET seems to have completely lost the plot with the regs who would get involved?

Where did you hire it from?

PM me if you don't want to put it on open forum...not sure if it breaks the advertising rules!  And some of those moderators can be absolute !?£&80les 😂😂😂😂😂 

2 years?   

In all honesty and practicality I would suggest that you have had insufficient time for you to fully comprehend the error of your ways...

re-read 314.1 (i)   then consider...

(1) would a Dual RCD board minimise inconvenience compared to a full RCBO board?

Or..

(2) would a full RCBO board minimise inconvenience compared to a Dual RCD board?

@DaveS79

If you were a close friend or relative, I would be very strongly recommending to you that Dual RCD boards are not worth the savings over full RCBO..

And if I were installing one in your house it would by full RCBO..

(I have replaced the CU's at both my Moms & Mother-In-Laws...    in both cases they now have Full RCBO boards!!!)

I wouldn't entertain messing around with a dual RCD board for anyone who is important or special to me!

:C

totally agree.

I really don't understand why RCBO boards weren't mandated by the IET years ago - rather than faffing around with SPD's and AFDD's
Points noted and maybe have been quite lucky so far installing mainly dual RCD boards. Will reconsider this but realise will need to upsell to potential customers as very often get beaten on price even installing these. Especially in these days of landlords just wanting cheapest option to gain compliance. Did a price comparison, and on a 13 Way DB with 10 x RCBO's comes in around £150 more expensive (and this was BG so other brands likely to be quite a bit more expensive) Type A's becoming more standard now and are currently more expensive. If manufacturer still producing both type A's and AC'c would you consider using just A types for socket circuits as my understanding is that this is where the potential risks of DC faults lie. Lighting circuits etc not so much a concern with this?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts