EV charger

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then you’ll know that oil is used for far more than just fuel so by all means remove the oil industry but don’t whinge when many other day to day items disappear and are not replaced or cost very much more.
Also be interested what you propose all the millions of workers will do when their industry is wiped out? Don’t think that may have a harmful effect on day to day life?
What do you propose we do, continue as we are, let the climate disaster develop and then the whole world lose their lives not just their livelyhood?

Of course it wont end rapidly, it will (and should) ramp down, oil needed for other things than ICE can be generally grown from crops. The ICE age needs to be brought to a close though.

And I’m sure it will come to an end, although can’t imagine many heavy industrial plant being ev as the loads are too much I’d imagine. So then we become a society of selectivity which is what I thought we were trying to get away from?
I have always said that anything can be consumed in moderation, the trouble is that not many humans understand the concept of ‘moderation’ as we have become a here and now society/economy/world.

But I guess like the majority, I’ll never have enough say to make any difference on the grand scale of things. That is all left too a selected few that are supposed to uphold the interests of the people, economy and the world, so if you are relying on others then don’t bank on any major changes anytime soon.

And I’m sure it will come to an end, although can’t imagine many heavy industrial plant being ev as the loads are too much I’d imagine. So then we become a society of selectivity which is what I thought we were trying to get away from?
I have always said that anything can be consumed in moderation, the trouble is that not many humans understand the concept of ‘moderation’ as we have become a here and now society/economy/world.

But I guess like the majority, I’ll never have enough say to make any difference on the grand scale of things. That is all left too a selected few that are supposed to uphold the interests of the people, economy and the world, so if you are relying on others then don’t bank on any major changes anytime soon.
Things are developing rapidly, I have a close friend who works for a company converting heavy vehicles to electric. Amongst their most successful conversions are dustbin lorries, they can run for 2 days on one charge, obviously cheaper to run and whole vehicle is less complex with electric driven hydraulic pumps rather than engine driven ones. They have also converts some buses which dependent on location can be quite a good fit too.
In terms of excavators and diggers maybe Hydrogen is a way forward and possibly synthetic fuels. Hydrogen is difficult due to the cost of harvesting it, transporting it and storing it - each one is a nightmare.

Sorry to say but I’m not convinced yet, I read an article the other day that said the police forces were having trouble with their electric vehicles running out when on a chase with sirens and horns going.
Keystone cops anybody?

Sorry to say but I’m not convinced yet, I read an article the other day that said the police forces were having trouble with their electric vehicles running out when on a chase with sirens and horns going.
Keystone cops anybody?
I suppose it depends on the vehicle, if they using long range model 3 it shouldnt be a problem, on the other hand if its a Corsa E it may be. It's all down to spec really, I've seen the ICE cars run out of fuel during chase and indeed the helicopter so it's really a major issue, just requires the appropriate planning.

As for jobs, I spent my working life in an industry that didn't exist when I was at school (microelectronics). Things move quickly these days and new job opportunities arise for those willing to learn new things.
I started life with British Aerospace making missile guidance systems, then along came Glasnost, and that went out the window. I joined Toshiba air conditioning, then the Japanese economy collapsed and they sold off the factory in the UK. Got a job with Nortel networks, then the dot.com bubble burst . Then the factories got outsourced to China, and totally fed up with engineering, I retrained as an electrician , because there will always be a need for sparkies whilst there's houses in the UK. 17 years later it's the most stable employment I've ever had, and will take me to retirement in a few years.

There's an art to being flexible in the world of work, it's hard to learn but does bring dividends in the end.

I suppose it depends on the vehicle, if they using long range model 3 it shouldnt be a problem, on the other hand if its a Corsa E it may be. It's all down to spec really, I've seen the ICE cars run out of fuel during chase and indeed the helicopter so it's really a major issue, just requires the appropriate planning.
I've not seen a Police EV yet, sounds a bit like internet nonsense to me, but I could be wrong. 😃

Keystone cops anybody?
Ok my bad, Gloucester police have been trying EVs

I started life with British Aerospace making missile guidance systems, then along came Glasnost, and that went out the window. I joined Toshiba air conditioning, then the Japanese economy collapsed and they sold off the factory in the UK. Got a job with Nortel networks, then the dot.com bubble burst . Then the factories got outsourced to China, and totally fed up with engineering, I retrained as an electrician , because there will always be a need for sparkies whilst there's houses in the UK. 17 years later it's the most stable employment I've ever had, and will take me to retirement in a few years.

There's an art to being flexible in the world of work, it's hard to learn but does bring dividends in the end.
Maybe your a Jinx 😉

saying 'EV's' doesn't really give the right picture does it, Porsche Taycan and a Golf E would fit the category but oh my, what different machines they are.
Thing is, electric vehicles are generally much faster than ICE ones so the Golf EV might well be faster than a Porsche ICE anyway. As you say, very different machines.

Last edited:

Exactly. I've never really understood the 'but I'm a miner, where am I going to find another job' mentality. I know Tebbut was ridiculed for his 'get on your bike' comments int he 80s but the fact remains that no one is owed a living and you have go go find your own way to earn a living. Granted it's not always easy but what's the alternative?

And I’m sure it will come to an end, although can’t imagine many heavy industrial plant being ev as the loads are too much I’d imagine.
Depends what you mean by 'the loads are too much'. Heavy plant certainly needs powerful engines but I doubt that the prime mover aspect (ie ICE vs electric motor) is the problem. After all, we've had electric trains for decades so there should be little doubt that and electric motor can functionally replace an ICE, indeed it will probably out-perform it, as we're seeing with most EVs on the road today.

But I agree it's the energy source that seems to be the real issue. Fossil fuels have a very high energy density and matching (or even exceeding!) that seems to be the real challenge rather than how to convert that energy into something useful like motion.

But, as I've said before, the ICE and all its associated infrastructure (tarmac'd roads, filling stations, servicing facilities, etc) is around 150 years old and it didn't just happen overnight. How many years has the world been serious about EVs? Probably not much ore than ten I'd say, so of course they are not yet perfect replacements for ICE vehicles. But give it time.

But when governments get behind such changes then things will happen and we're seeing them happen before our eyes. Remember Kennedy's famous speech about the USA going to the moon? He gave that speech (and more importantly the government commitment) before the US had even put a man in orbit around the earth, yet less than 10 years later man was walking on the moon! OK, very different times and the cold war certainly helped focused government minds, but it showed that humans are capable of the most amazing things if we really get down to it. It's just a pity there are so many of us on the planet causing all these environmental problems in the first place, but that's another issue!

Exactly. I've never really understood the 'but I'm a miner, where am I going to find another job' mentality. I know Tebbut was ridiculed for his 'get on your bike' comments int he 80s but the fact remains that no one is owed a living and you have go go find your own way to earn a living. Granted it's not always easy but what's the alternative?
In my lifetime my careers have changed - Steelwork Electrician (apprenticeship) - Service Engineer Avery Weigh Scales - Software and Hardware Designer Microprocessor Control Systems - I.T. Shop Retailer - Academy Network Manager - Driving Instructor - Offshore Remotely Operated Vehicle Pilot/Technician - Contract Programmer in USA - Civil Aviation Authority Examiner and Trainer for commercial drone operations - Now RETIRED!! As you say, we all need to embrace change.

In my lifetime my careers have changed - Steelwork Electrician (apprenticeship) - Service Engineer Avery Weigh Scales - Software and Hardware Designer Microprocessor Control Systems - I.T. Shop Retailer - Academy Network Manager - Driving Instructor - Offshore Remotely Operated Vehicle Pilot/Technician - Contract Programmer in USA - Civil Aviation Authority Examiner and Trainer for commercial drone operations - Now RETIRED!! As you say, we all need to embrace change.
Always looking ahead, and getting the occasional lucky break helps. I've also managed to turn down some very good opportunities, like programming. It's also fair to say I was blessed with a good brain, I'm crap at kicking footballs though 😃

How many years has the world been serious about EVs? Probably not much ore than ten I'd say, so of course they are not yet perfect replacements for ICE vehicles. But give it time.
It's probably closer to 50, Silent Power in Runcorn was closed around 25 years ago after developing sodium sulphur batteries for EV's because the US government bactracked on EV's after lobbying from the oil companies

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg15020320-700-germans-pull-plug-on-britains-batteries/

Interesting article, I didn't know that, though that's why I said 'serious' about EVs. 'Serious' in the sense of EVs being in the public consciousness, governments actively encouraging EVs through tax breaks and legislation, and EVs being widely available to the consumer, etc.

But if we're talking 50 years ago then I would certainly concede your point because I spent many saturdays riding around in an EV (aka 'milk float') for my schooldays saturday job with our local milkman :D

Always looking ahead, and getting the occasional lucky break helps.

True, though I would argue it's the 'always looking ahead' mentality that means people are ready to take advantage of the 'occasional lucky break' that comes their way. I guess this is what is meant by making your own luck and we all know that some people are luckier than others, or rather that some people make the most of things while others just feel hard done by because things are not given to them on a plate.

Reminds me of a line from a favourite blues song; 'if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all' :LOL: [1]

(PS: another is: 'I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left' :giggle: ) [2]

[1] Born Under A Bad Sign - Albert King
[2] Seasick Steve