Failed D.E.I.P.I.R. (for a single dwelling)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just glad that he at least checked and verified phase rotation ????? Get your complaint in writing, tell him because of his instruction that you have had unnecessary work carried out and claim the money back. When you get your money back tell him to go and find a job where he does not need to test anything.

The second PIR should not have been issued unless it was a different contractor, it should have been an EIC. There are basic fundamental mistakes on every single page, most of the mistakes have been spotted by the forum members. The biggest mistake this contractor has made is that he has no concept of the legal position his initial PIR has placed him in. Under his advise Mr slim has had remedial works carried out at a substantial cost to himself. My own opinion of this fiasco is that I believe Mr Slim has a right of complaint, under the terms of enrolment with the NICEIC , the contractor has a duty of care, not only to carry out his day to day business with integrity, but to uphold the image and reputation of the NICEIC themselves. I will say one thing about this, if anyone carries out any PIR's and gives advise to change or upgrade anything, remember this thread, its one of the reasons to do everything right the first time, it could cost you a small fortune, if you do anything as badly as this.

I am so glad that this thread was started, its probably been the best learning tool I have seen regarding the topic of PIR's, and has highlighted the multitude of problems when they are carried out incorrectly.

Your not wrong there,,,

It's just a shame that this kind of thing had to happen to someone.

Does anyone know if Mr Slim would have any legal case against the letting agent who recommended this joker? Surely they have a duty of care?

The more I read this thread the more I feel like crying, this person (alleged electrician) brings disrepute to the whole of our industry! Why has a second PIR been issued? I still stand by my earlier comments.

"It is a legal requirement of the building regulations Part-P that an Electrical installation Certificate and a Building regulations compliance certificate are issued when a Consumer unit, (fuse box), is replaced. If you do not have these documents I would suggest you complain to the NICEIC, as something is not right."

Doc H.

The letting agency could easily be exonerated by the fact that this contractor was and is registered with a governing body, so no, no legal action could be taken against them unless any failings can be levied towards them. A complaint should be made to them though, so that they can have the opportunity to remove this contractor from their recommended lists.

Manator,

Not quite true!

Certainly under H&S law anyway.

Check, Regina Vs Octel, and another civil case relating to Dancerama (spelling?) Footwear!

Manator,Not quite true!

Certainly under H&S law anyway.

Check, Regina Vs Octel, and another civil case relating to Dancerama (spelling?) Footwear!
You are correct, but I think in this case it would be harder to prove, letting agencies would search for suitable registered contractors in their geographical area, I would however question if like the Octel case the NICEIC could themselves be brought to account? I am not very "up" on the legal side but and this is a big but I do think if taken to any court a full independent review of the loopholes in Part P will be exposed, and closed.

I would be happy to stand as expert on this one, I would gladly go to jail if my witness was disproved.

M,

I think that I may be prepared to share my first ever hotel room with another man if this went all the way to the EU Court, jail room or not!

Single beds mind! ;)

Ive just had a look through the thread...

In post 37 Mr Slim states that the company was instructed by the housing association so I would think that they do have a responsibility as he wasn't given the opportunity to use his own contractor.

We do not know at this stage if Mr slim was given that opportunity. However I do think a good solicitor would find some eye of a needle to crawl through.

I too would do it, but, Im not so sure my actual quals would permit me to do so.
I think I could establish from your posts that you would be suitably qualified by experience to at least air your views. Recently a new precedent was set for expert witness, at one time you could not be prosecuted for anything you said in court as an expert, however now you can, which is why it is now even more important to state the facts and not opinion.

Your not wrong there,,,It's just a shame that this kind of thing had to happen to someone.

Does anyone know if Mr Slim would have any legal case against the letting agent who recommended this joker? Surely they have a duty of care?
Would he have a claim on the contractors PI ?

I have too say, having inspected the reports, the numerous errors are totally unacceptable, as for the price, well what can i say, though i assume the op had the choice as to pay or get a second opinion on the various areas.

If this chap is NICEIC registered as a DI or AC then God help us, it also raises the question as to how the scheme providers are monitoring there members.

Customer awareness is the key, more needs to be done to raise the awareness of electrical work carried out in domestic and commercial installations.

How much work is going unnotified.

How many consumers know notification is required in many instances.

Im afraid the industry as a whole needs to collectively increase awareness and introduce more stringent methods to assure good practice.

The scheme provides charge good money for what i would call a limited service, time to repay the industry and the consumers for everyones benefit.