Fiat Ulysse Exhaust Manifold bolt snapped in HEAD - Help required please...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys,

The head was bought Second hand - Skimmed and Pressure tested. The engine in these are tilted back not straight like an engine should be. (I am sure Sidewinder will remember?).

I am not taking it back out though. My BIL did it for me. (and other work on it).

The head is Alluminium, SW. BIL said he don't think it is level, he seems to think that it has snapped off inside the head. I will take a pic of it in the morning, mate.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:12 ----------

Forgot to say that it is an M8, Mate.

Currently in Garage with Electric, but I am hoping to get it out at lunchtime to have some tyres and the tracking done on it. I doubt it will be going back in, because he has his own vehicles to go back in there. :(

Also, it IS between the bulkhead & the head (rear of the head).

If it was easier for you, and you didn't mind, I could drive it up to your workshop, Sidey?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if it's mobile then that would be better!

I'm out as I have posted tomorrow.

Best 2 txt or ring if you need it done as I'm working all weekend too, local, but not in the workshop.

Thanks Sidey. The exhaust is not too clever anyway, but when started, it sounded like a tank. I assumed it was from there. Could well be from another part of the exaust, as my BIL said - We disturbed the exhaust taking it off, and one of the joins was "Gum Gummed" previously. (the racket seemed to be closer to the front of the car than that though, will look again in the morning).

Oh, Sidey, I added the following to my post above yours "Also, it IS between the bulkhead & the head (rear of the head)."

Many thanks.

Ah, a RIGHT PAIN then, will be a SOD to get out, bring it down & I'll have a look see, but the manifold will have to come off.

Unit is full, so it will have to be done in the alley way.

Bring old clothes & overalls if you have them.

We can catch up tomorrow.

Thanks Mate - Will keep you updated on progress, Tomorrow.

I can't help with the problem, but would just like to say that this is why I love this forum.

The way everyone comes together to help each other.

I can't help with the problem, but would just like to say that this is why I love this forum.The way everyone comes together to help each other.
Grrrrrrrrr

You are just grovelling for more thanks again.....

:eek:

Well thats what Deke told me! ]:) :C

:innocent

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:21 ---------- Previous post was made at 01:18 ----------

Sounds like a right Sod Admin...

Hope you can get it sorted ok!

:pray

OK, Image time:

This is all the room that is allowed in the Fiat Ulysse Engine Bay to do this:

WBR017.jpg

WBR016.jpg

WBR015.jpg

The Snapped bot in the head of the Fiat Ulysse:

WBR022.jpg

The Exhaust Manifold Gasket appears to be flush against the Head of the Fiat Ulysse (top at least):

WBR023.jpg

WBR019.jpg

Let me know what you think please, Sidewinder? :|

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:23 ----------

Looking at the pic of the snapped bolt, it makes me wonder how much of the actual bolt has snapped off in there?

What I mean is, if there is enough thread left, could we cut another bolt down and tighten it up to the one that has snapped?

Having said that BIL said he put a rod in there to see how how far in it had snapped. and it wasn't much. :_|

Doubt it though, I am not that lucky. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I looked at Admin's car & I am ashamed to say I let him down! :Blushing :Blushing:Blushing

I could not get the broken bolt out because, I could not see it! :_|

Let alone get a hand on it, so there was no chance of an MMA electrode holder & rod getting in there, plus the manifold is Cast Iron, so IF I tried & got it wrong, there is a good chance I'd be welding the manifold to the broken stud, not a good plan.

I know we are both Welsh, and the Welsh have a proud mining heritage, but I don't even think a seasoned Collier would have got to that one.

Looks like the head will have to come off, have given Admin some of my special high alloy welding rods as his B-I-L recons he can get the broken bolt out once the head is off.

Sorry Boss, good luck, if you get the head off, please don't drill it, if your B-I-L thinks he can't get it out with the welding set please let me know & I will do it for you.

:good luck:

Sidey , with the head off again , why don't you want him to drill it ? I'm sure you have good reason .

I'm thinking in terms of what I remember doing in the past, drill down the centre, tap a left hand thread ,perhaps 5mm, screw in a 5mm bolt, apply socket set to tighten LH bolt, broken stud should, hopefully, start unscrewing.

Doubt if you can run the engine without all the manifold bolts in place TBH.

And whats all this about being Welsh miners ? What are you gonna do ?...Whack it with a coal shovel !!! Its advice from the Motor City you need :innocent

Hope you get it sorted.

Deke

EZouts are a LH taper they do expand the stuck bolt, thus trying to wedge it into the hole you are trying to get it out of.

Drilling it would need it to be exactly central and any eccentricity would result in thread damage to the aluminium alloy head, plus once the eccentricity has been established to get the hole back on true centre is difficult and the clearance in the exhaust manifold will be minimal.

There is a bit of an exhaust blow from one cylinder, this will muck up the emissions, the "Lambda" and thus the fuel consumption etc.

The reason this has broken is almost certainly due to the "broken" thread being seized probably due to corrosion into the head.

Thus an easyout is doubtful, my welding technique is a better bet.

Sorry Sidey,

We decided to drill it out. Well, near enough - re-tap it and insert a narrower bolt. It has done the job.

I have taken a pic of it, which I will post. Depended on how many Likes and Scoobs I get. ]:) (well, this seems to be the norm on here now :slap ).

Sorry Sidey,We decided to drill it out. Well, near enough - re-tap it and insert a narrower bolt. It has done the job.

I have taken a pic of it, which I will post. Depended on how many Likes and Scoobs I get. ]:) (well, this seems to be the norm on here now :slap ).
Until (if) you try to take it out and the whole "old" bolt comes out with it.

I can't understand why you drilled it out with the head off as it would have been easier to get the old bolt out and to utilise another of the same, correct size?

You must have drilled it 5mm dia & tapped it M6x1 into the existing bolt then?

This will give you a wall thickness between the M6 thread & the M8 thread of less then 0.5mm, not much strength to be honest.

Will this hold the gaseous generated forces at the manifold considering that the original thread was M8 (x1.25, but that does not really matter).?

Latest posts