Fire detection to BS5839 Pt1

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinRed

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just back from looking at a job, basically a large portable building which is being refurb edfor local nursey school.

Bit of a mess really, stud walls pulled down switches and sockets to be removed, lighting to resited and emerg lights to be fitted.

Now the other thing is a Fire detection system is to be installed,not much in it really 4x Detectors 4x Callpoints & 4x sounder/bells.

Now i have wired many a fire alarm system back in the day of working for larger firms but know nothing about the design, comission and certification end of things.

What qualifications does one need to design and certify a fire detection system?

Thinking it may be best to contact a local fire alarm supplier and strike a deal with them, as in i buy the gear from them and they design and certify.

Your thoughts welcome.

Regards.

I agree with andy on this one. Get a local company to do the design, you wire to their specs and when completed they come back and do the commisioning and testing.

Another advantage of this is they take over the anual testing and service of the installation.

If you find you are asked to do more and more work on fire alarm systems then you could do the design and commissioning yourself, but you will need to know all the relevant legislation and like me up your professional indemnity insurance and public liability

as green and andy said like myself any local fire alarm company will design and commission the system for you. All you will have to do is either first and second fix to their design.

make sure you choose a company that has been reccomended as with all things some are better than others.

Any more info let me know.

Adam