Fire rated down light distance from joists

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave1233

Reaction score
Hello

My builder has recently made holes for down light in my living room. I noticed that 2 or 3 holes hit the joists and some are flush against the joists.

I have purchased aurora fire rated down GU10 downlights and want to know what the minimum distance the devices should be from the wooden joists. What is the safety requirements?

Thanks

dave

What does it state in the instructions that came with the lights?

Most specify 50mm space but as previous post says, read the manufacturers literature as distances vary depending on the model.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always worked with 70mm away in mind when it was halogens... Don't know where Ive picked this info up though!!! Maybe just an old school thing....And I do same now as even if you put led in someone could change to halogen at later date....

1. tell your "builder" to jog on and get someone in who knows what they are doing.

Ever heard of a little thing called FIRE? It doesn't do your house much good!

Minimum 50mm from joists! It'll be in the instructions that came with the lights you bought.

2. What's your builder doing fitting downlights? He should stick to building.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:13 ----------

Could always fit LED's to keep the heating effect down.
One could, but what about when they get changed back to halogens?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:17 ----------

If you pay your dues and goto the download section, you'l find I've uploaded a couple of documents about the safe installation of downlights.

Installing Recessed luminaires - Downloads - Talk.electricianforum.co.uk... a forum with a difference.

Installing Downlighters Safely - Downloads - Talk.electricianforum.co.uk... a forum with a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by davetheglitz View Post

Could always fit LED's to keep the heating effect down.
One could, but what about when they get changed back to halogens?
Worked on the principle that it was the posters house and this was a get around. By the time the LED breaks down I hope that the abominable halogens will be a distant memory!

Of course the correct response is to get the builder to do the job properly!

If your builder is registered with any governing body and is fully aware of the building regulation Part P, then I would not worry. However it looks like you are worrying, which implies that your builder, to cut costs is not Part P registered and can do has he likes. The responsibility is unfortunately yours if you are the home owner, and building control can make you replace anything that does not comply, at your own cost. Many people are getting ripped off up and down the country by builders who have little regard for electrical safety or building regulations.

Make sure you are going to get a certificate from a person who is deemed competent to do this type of work, otherwise you will not get a building compliance certificate at the end of the job and may have problems if you wish to sell the property at a later date, and indeed you may find your insurance void, which could be very expensive in the long run.

It's already failed, they need filling and recutting by the sounds of it...

If your builder is registered with any governing body and is fully aware of the building regulation Part P, then I would not worry. However it looks like you are worrying, which implies that your builder, to cut costs is not Part P registered and can do has he likes. The responsibility is unfortunately yours if you are the home owner, and building control can make you replace anything that does not comply, at your own cost. Many people are getting ripped off up and down the country by builders who have little regard for electrical safety or building regulations.Make sure you are going to get a certificate from a person who is deemed competent to do this type of work, otherwise you will not get a building compliance certificate at the end of the job and may have problems if you wish to sell the property at a later date, and indeed you may find your insurance void, which could be very expensive in the long run.
Trouble is Manator as he has fitted mains halogen and not low voltage and they are in the lounge part p doesn't come into it. So he could do this all over the country and nobody can do anything about it and that shows what a farce the part p is. But I think that is what you are saying any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong batty, sorry, Part P DOES apply, the job just may not be "NOTIFIABLE" under Part P.

Part P applies to ALL electrical work in dwellings just as CDM does for new builds and refurbs, e.g. rewires.

The same idea with regard to CDM & the F10 form, it may not be notifiable under CDM but the duties of all parties still apply.

Wrong batty, sorry, Part P DOES apply, the job just may not be "NOTIFIABLE" under Part P.Part P applies to ALL electrical work in dwellings just as CDM does for new builds and refurbs, e.g. rewires.

The same idea with regard to CDM & the F10 form, it may not be notifiable under CDM but the duties of all parties still apply.
But would you not agree that any downlight installation should be notifiable not just low voltage that is the point I am making. I agree all work should be done to building reg specifications but as the part p only covers parts and bad work is going on even in work that is notifiable the non notifiable doesn't really have a hope in hell.

Im a little lost here as to why folks are saying if its LED not to worry?

some LEDs put out enormous heat from the rear, whydo you think the BIG heatsink?

and the cheaper the LED the more heat generally, thats why decent LEDs cost that bit extra, you get what you pay for.

as for too close to the joists? I think the OP knows the answer and that is why he asked the question, for some official back up.

myself, personally, always the same distance as the size of the fitting away from any structure, min 50mm.