Fire Systems & Velux Windows

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electroglow

Reaction score
hello all. 

i have just priced a job that involves 4 flats and a bar. the flats have separate entry. i have given a price for a grade A for system that includes smokes, heats and call points. 

my question is does this require a velux motorised window?

i have never installed one before and wondered how they are wired e.g does this come of the fire panel or is it classed as a addition to a zone?? 

Thanks 

Do you mean a Velux that is to used as a fire escape  and opens when alarm sounds ?   And should you fit one or not?

If so you are overstepping your remit as the electrician and becoming a designer , architect , fire officer , Clerk of Works .    Just stick to being a sparks and let someone else stick their head above the parapet .

They open on a fire, and they come with there own panel that the fire brigade can break glass to over ride. they are connected to the fire alarm system through a volt free open or closed contacts.This was about 5 years ago that I did the system

its a VOC (think that's right) unit, as in opens to let smoke out. haven't looked at one for a while, but they are simple enough to link to fire panels, just read instructions

The point I'm making , and have made in several earlier threads , is that  occasionally the electrician is suddenly elevated , without any prior training or expertise , into the position of a fire alarm /  fire escape designer .   

I would say that anything more than two or three domestic mains linked smoke alarms are beyond te remit of the average electrician's expertise and should not be involved with the design of such systems .    Installing yes ...designing no. 

As Kerching says , orifices need to be covered when the airborne waste products impact with the ventilating devices.

They open on a fire, and they come with there own panel that the fire brigade can break glass to over ride. they are connected to the fire alarm system through a volt free open or closed contacts.This was about 5 years ago that I did the system
That is completely wrong. As Noz mentioned any vents would close on activation of the alarm to stop fuelling or the chimney effect. You would however have a smoke control switch somewhere near the fire panel to open the vents after.

If the Velux was a fire exit it would need a fail safe latch or manual opening device to enable an exit but it would not physically open on fire alarm  activation.

That is the exact system I fitted Doc thanks for the link

That is completely wrong. As Noz mentioned any vents would close on activation of the alarm to stop fuelling or the chimney effect. You would however have a smoke control switch somewhere near the fire panel to open the vents after.

If the Velux was a fire exit it would need a fail safe latch or manual opening device to enable an exit but it would not physically open on fire alarm  activation.
this was taken from page 55 of the instructions ManuelRelease via smoke detector: In cases of smoke detection, the window opens

automatically. The comfort ventilation function is automatically disengaged.

Adrian,

IF this is not a domestic, this needs to be considered under the FRA as part of the RRFSO.

These units could cause a chimney effect which would make the fire worse.

Please, just be sure what you do you are "covered" for.

Adrian you are correct, the system you describe is for typical staircase ventilation and escape of smoke. They open on activation of the fire alarm.

These systems have to be carefully designed and need to be installed properly. I have just done such an install but the fire safety officer decided that it was not required, I installed the cable for it just in case.

http://www.customelectronicsltd.com/aovcontrols/what%20is%20an%20aov.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not design the system it was required by the fire officer and the architect/designer supplied

ventilating smoke on stairwells prevents flashbacks from fire, but more importantly keeps stairwell clear of smoke aiding escape and fire brigade entry. If stairwell is designed properly, then it will have fire doors at every entry point,  ergo chimney effect is actually used to improve safety not propogate fire, which is the whole point of these vent systems.

In answer to the question the window will need an opening system, sometimes this is a motorised chain, sometimes a spring held by an eletro-magnet, either way it needs a controlled electric supply

Latest posts