First Havells Dist. Board Today.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitted first Havells  dist, Bd. today, 12 way TP .

Seemed quite solid , sturdy, door lifts off nice & easy.

Impressed with the added extra of an insulated slotted bush plate .

Not impressed with the Main Switch which had terminals I couldn't back off for connection , had to get wholesaler to drop another off .

Then later same thing with an MCB .

Good job it wasn't a Sunday shut down job.

Post a pic later if its any good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a board from denmans last week, had exactly the same problem, took it back down off the wall and had all my weight on the screwdriver trying to turn it back, to no avail.

I had a board from denmans last week, had exactly the same problem, took it back down off the wall and had all my weight on the screwdriver trying to turn it back, to no avail.
It wasn't their Budget/CGD range was it?

Tried one once , absolutely sh'ite. Could not get din rail to line up for MCBs......RUBBISH, terminals made of cheese.....casing made of VERY thin tin foil

Just preferring Merlin or Hager

It was indeed the 'basics' range, needed a 5 way and couldn't go too big because of space restraints.

The cover didn't fit too well and the problem mentioned above but other than that.......bit basic really. Quite an apt name then I guess

It may not be a requirement to isolate the neutral in a 3 phase board (except on tt) but I still much prefer a 4 pole incomer with switched neutral.

I would no more wish to fit a 3 phase board with only a 3 pole main switch, than I would fit a single phase board with a single pole main switch.  What's the difference?

There is the possibility of a floating N to contend with.

It is very rare TBH PD, the only time I have ever fitted a 4p incomer to a 3ph DB is an RCD!

put a control gear 3Ph board in last week, it's alright for the money. I used to be quite sniffy about CG, but they improved the quality and I fit little else these days. Seems to be more reliable then other well known brands, and I've even got a domestic unit in my house full of RCBOs - they work fine.

put a control gear 3Ph board in last week, it's alright for the money. I used to be quite sniffy about CG, but they improved the quality and I fit little else these days. Seems to be more reliable then other well known brands, and I've even got a domestic unit in my house full of RCBOs - they work fine.
Did you manage to get the piece of tin Din Rail for the breakers to align correctly?........mine wouldn,t, so i sulked and have not used one since!

Just saying......

I've been fitting Control Gear ( Domestic)  since ditching  Crabtree and their exploding MCBs .

It seems fine ,  no faulty returns in the last three years  TBH .  MCBs are the same as Merlin Gerin .  Loads of room in the enclosures.... which are as rigid as reasonable for plastic .  

yeah, he just used his cordless Din Rail alignment tool. surely you have one of them kerch? :)
I have a plethora of "percussive maintenance tools", a plethora I tell you, a plethora!

I've been fitting Control Gear ( Domestic) since ditching Crabtree and their exploding MCBs .

It seems fine , no faulty returns in the last three years TBH . MCBs are the same as Merlin Gerin . Loads of room in the enclosures.... which are as rigid as reasonable for plastic .
Is that the Curve range?.....I quite like those for a quick "in stock" job....just found a load of the RCBOs in the garage that i forgot about! So that is the next job already spec'd. Plus their RCBOs do not have the earth ref tail, so a tidier job. The better jobs get a SBS boad with compacts

Last edited by a moderator: