Fluke 1654B

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane B

Reaction score
Ok anyone got any ideas here. I'm thinking processor blown or software malfunction. Anyone else had any issues. 

Just one year old fluke 1654b. Zs and ze readings on a PME system 0.01 to 0.05  with a Ka of anything between 8 and 10Ka  even when you toggle the f1 and re test.  My meter so never been abused or wrongly placed on any circuits. 

My kewtec kt60 and my mates fluke 1652  all coming back with ze / zs 0.15 to 0.17  and Ka between 1.25 and 2.1

So I'm right in thinking my fluke 1654b is the problem here. 

Swapped a board on a customers house that's where I realised the issue. Re rested my main ze at my house And Ka pefc psc different area same type of readings. Upto 10 Ka.  But kewtech and other fluke readings stable 

Anyone had issues with these. It's under warranty and actually due for calibration to. So glad I got spare test meters. 

Any input appreciate it. Ta

Hi . My test kit always always in the house. But yes spent 8 hours in a cold van with back doors open and I was working out of it. But. My meter was placed in warmth later for at least 10 hours and re checked again at my house last night with a fluke 1651 / 2  and a my kewtech kt60 . Kt60 and 1651 fluke giving similar readings on a PME.  Ze zs 0.15 to 0.18 Ka readings around 1.9  however my 1654b ze zs 0.02 to 0.08  8Ka to 10Ka again never right can't be

Have you checked the fuse in the bottom of it? My 1652 had a similar issue, can't remember if it were the fuse or merely the fact that it need to be warmed up and a change of batteries. 

No didn't check the fuse, cheers for replies, it's gone back to fluke land today I'll advise back here what the issue was if any, but brand new leads and fused probes, along with using backup test kit and getting stable results I think there is an issue, 

Have you zeroed it?

is it coming straight from a cold van into a warm house?

these are the only two things that have ever made my 1654b sulk, other than flat batteries
I'm glad  I don't own one of those meters, I have enough problems here, the wife sulks, the dog sulks, even the 2 laptops sulk fairly frequently, the last thing I'd need is a sulking meter.

Had zeroed it. But surely if you hadn't you would get an Increase in ohms not less causing higher ka readings. Zs ze on a pme 0.00 really

Imagine zeroing it with a slightly high resistance ( croc clip hinges, poor connection etc)

actual value is say l.8 ohms

,meter computes  this and knocks it off the REAL reading that you take of , say, 1.85 ohms 

and meter returns a result of 1.85-1.8= 0.05 ohms and computes I pf accordingly

i may well,be wrong but Mr Merlot has been here for a few hours...his first visit for about a month

Had zeroed it. But surely if you hadn't you would get an Increase in ohms not less causing higher ka readings. Zs ze on a pme 0.00 really

Depends on whether the non-zero lead resistance was high or low. Works both ways.

Old topic but been a long slog to get this sorted. Anyhow.  After sending test instrument back my 1654B apparently did show up a fault in there lab. Which didn't show up the 1st time. Odd as it showed up in field use. Anyhow 3rd time round both circuit boards been replaced. Not a new machine issued out but 2 new boards think An1 and An2 or something. 

Faith not with it 100% though. 

I have an annoying issue with my old Megger (12 years and passes calibration every time). Once in a while it registers 50V on resistance test setting or when zeroing leads. Only way to clear it is to test mains at 240V. Switch contacts need a good clean once in a while to boot, but it soldiers on and I know its foibles so won't be changing it, unless I go retro and get an AVO8  :^O

I had an original 1652 which after 14yrs or so started to do the very same thing and also give strange rcd readings, after a couple of trips to repair, it was more cost efficient to purchase a new one, so with the aid of a fluke promotion and our beloved sponsors www.isswww.co.uk I purchased a new 1664 for a very very good price!! 

I had an original 1652 which after 14yrs or so started to do the very same thing and also give strange rcd readings, after a couple of trips to repair, it was more cost efficient to purchase a new one, so with the aid of a fluke promotion and our beloved sponsors www.isswww.co.uk I purchased a new 1664 for a very very good price!! 
Mine was brand new. Giving Ze on pme 0.00  ohms. Back up old calibrated test kit singles proved otherwise. 

Latest posts