Fluke v Megger v Metrel v Dilog v Seaward etc.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedepth

Reaction score
On a serious (boring) note, my Megger is only a couple of years old, only one of those in serious use, but when it does expire I am considering a Fluke. I got a megger because that's what they used where I did my training so I became used to it. In the RN we had megger and fluke, and AVO back in the old days. None of which were MFT's. Are Fluke's better? Or is it simply a case of what you know. Some of you older members, turn it up Albert, this includes you;), must have experienced a number of different brands. What's the consensus?

I detest megger, seaward are good, but very pricey and seem to be full of stuff I never used.

I like fluke. And would rate Metrel very highly for the price, in fact, I will prob get one for my next tester.

Fluke, Fluke, Fluke, Fluke, Fluke & AVO9 (Like an 8Mk3)!

That is I have 5 flukes & my AVO9!

1653 MFT, 1653B MFT, 87 DMM, 8060A DMM, & 336 AC/DC Clamp & DMM

Not sure which LCR meter & Earth clamp I will go for yet.

LCR may well be Megger.

Earth clamp will probably be either DiLog or the Amprobe AC50A

I detest megger, seaward are good, but very pricey and seem to be full of stuff I never used. I like fluke. And would rate Metrel very highly for the price, in fact, I will prob get one for my next tester.
Steps,

I seem to remember you saying before about not liking Meggers. I assume this is as a result of some unfortunate incident. Or did it spill your beer once down the pub? :coat

Having been sent to the naughty corner, I'll ask the question here.

Which tester and why?

Admin,

Is it technically possible to extract the posts from the wrong thread and place them here? Only for continuity purposes. Don't bother if it's a time waster for you.

Cheers.

Love my Megger 1552.

Did try Megger 'singles' and a Fluke whilst on the 2391 - Meggers were OK, not that impressed with the Fluke.

I'm using the 1552 too. On my 2391 they used Flukes but I stuck with the megger. The Fluke just looked a little confusing. I suppose that had I taken the time to use it I would have been better informed now.

Most of my test equipment was the Robin range of singles with some Megger, the first MFT I bought was the fluke. Although it is a Fluke it still had the Robin logo, not sure if this is now removed from newer models. Like all equipment its always going to be what you get used to, which is why even when you change side cutters it takes time to use them like your old ones.

I am however looking at the new Megger now that looks like a serious peice of kit.

That's alright Mate,

Any more and I would have put you on the naughty step. :D

Fluke for me - I bought the Kewtech KT64 when the Fluke went to MM`s hospital - gawd what a pile of poo!

The fluke seems to know what I want it to do, and almost instinctively "does it" - I love the adaptability of the seperate banana sockets, meaning I can do "unusual" tests on S/Os if needed. It has NEVER given spurious trips of an RCD or B6.

My only issue is the lack of definitive responses to its ability to carry out a phase-phase PSC on three phase supplies, though, if in doubt - calculate instead :) :) :)

KME

I used to use a fluke 1653 (I think) and now have a kewtek kt64 and used to get on well with it, but other than phase sequence tests I think the kt64 is on a par with fluke

I'm going to put in a vote for Metral, I have the 3002 DL and I love it, a bit more compicated than the Meggars and Flukes but if you take the time to learn it, its great,

Fluke, Fluke, Fluke, Fluke, Fluke & AVO9 (Like an 8Mk3)!That is I have 5 flukes & my AVO9!

1653 MFT, 1653B MFT, 87 DMM, 8060A DMM, & 336 AC/DC Clamp & DMM

Not sure which LCR meter & Earth clamp I will go for yet.

LCR may well be Megger.

Earth clamp will probably be either DiLog or the Amprobe AC50A
Check this LCR out mate, i think you will likey.

Ps. Still waiting for the Fluke guy to give me the response time of the AC50A

Can only compare Fluke and Metrel MFTs - and it's Fluke every time.

I find the Metrel confusing. It's very sensitive to earth connections on loop tests. Hate the test probes.

Fluke is simple and does what I need - but is comparatively heavy on batteries.