Fridge-Freezer Turning On And Off Periodically

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Madrugao

Reaction score
My Hoover fridge-freezer has suddenly started working funny.

The top fridge is work fine and is actually quite cool but the bottom freezer keeps turning on and off by itself. Basically I noticed that it reaches freezing temperature then shuts itself to defrost mode.

The freezer is frost free whilst the fridge is not (if that can be of any help).

What could it be?

A lot of fridge freezers only have active cooling of the freezer part (so one compressor and refrigerant circuit)  the fridge cools itself by periodically circulating cold air from the freezer into the fridge compartment.

The fact it keeps thinking it needs to defrost probably means some sensor has malfunctioned.

Start by turning it off and properly thoroughly defrosting it and try again.

Does it have a display and does it show any error messages?

What's the exact make and model? 

used to get his non-sense, though in my case it would over-freeze. buried behind the plastic panel at back of freezer compartment you will find a thermocouple that needs replacing - check out a few whitegoods forums, to find exact problem, and if you are lucky part number for replacement item. Fridge compartment should also have a similar thermocouple, might be worth replacing both as a pair, belt and braces. I ended up taking mine apart about 3 times, but has worked reliable since for over 4 years.

@ProDave Many thanks for your opinion! :) It's a Hoover HCF5176A and no it doesn't have a display, hence no error message :(

I believe this is one of the models you mentioned (active cooling on the freezer part). I have kept it off for the past 4 weeks while away and once plugged back on still the same issue :(

@binky It is nonsense indeed. Although I think it's going to be a bit over complicated for my skills to fix it myself, but I'll try my best.  

Worth a mention ref these so called frost free things...........in my experience they're not as in "frost free forever"!  

Is your door seal OK all the way round? With the constant low temperatures they can go brittle / contract. You'll probably have a large removable vent panel inside at the rear and behind that is a big fan. Our one started making an odd high pitched whining sound. The door seal had contracted at one corner and allowed a slight gap. It was ice build up on the fan until it eventually stopped!

I made a small slit in the door seal near the gap so I could get inside the extrusion. I then held the door seal in the correct place with a pencil wedged in the rubber and then filled the seal up with silicon. Once cured the "gap" was negligible. No more fan freezing up now!

Also is there a drip tray on the back, check any drain pipes are clear and not blocked up.

@ProDave Many thanks for your opinion! :) It's a Hoover HCF5176A and no it doesn't have a display, hence no error message :(

I believe this is one of the models you mentioned (active cooling on the freezer part). I have kept it off for the past 4 weeks while away and once plugged back on still the same issue :(

@binky It is nonsense indeed. Although I think it's going to be a bit over complicated for my skills to fix it myself, but I'll try my best.  
hardest part is taking the freezer apart - mine had about 4 screws. Once you have exposed the offending thermocouple, it's plug and play territory. Little skill, much common sense.

Don't take this the wrong way please, if the fridge freezer cant get rid of the heat gain from the contents then this may be the reason for your problems, Question is the condenser plate at the rear of your unit dirty, dusty etc? try gently cleaning it with warm water it may help, it's just a stab in the dark but worth a try