fully qualified electrician queries

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezzerf

Reaction score
Hi just enquiring really about my status and what i should do,

iv been working in the industry for approx 11 years have a very high understanding knowledge of all installations, completed the following courses but unsure if i need to complete nvq3 as just never got round to finishing it?

2351 to level 3

2382 17th edition

2391 inspect n test

2377 pat test

AM2

i know understand there is a "Practising Operatives Scheme" for experienced electricians but dont know if this is worth the money, would be grateful to hear peoples opinions.

Is this to do with looking for a new employer?

or promotion with current employer?

or going self employed?

or getting registered with an approved contractor scheme?

or other?

Cuz TBH those look like some quite reasonable qualifications! :|

Guinness

If you're employed (or self employed & approved by NICEIC/Napit/ECA) and regarded as an electrician & don't need a JIB/CSCS card there's no real need for the NVQ, but, if you follow the JIB definitions (http://www.jib.org.uk/gdelec.htm) then strictly speaking you're not fully quallified & need the NVQ to get your CSCS card - but it could be worth speaking to the JIB.

You have raised an interesting question as to who is fully qualified or not, Tezzer .

Is it the JIB who set the standard ? I think not, because there are plenty of contractors who don't subscribe to the JIB.

This ECS money spinning scam seems to be forcing sparks to register with JIB on a site safety ticket.

What if a sparky does the ECS safety rip-off at a construction centre ?

Last one I did was at the ECA Midlands HQ , at the same time the brickie on my job went to a construction centre somewhere, did it on a computer.

Anyway , if Specs says you are qualified I'll go with what he says. He outranks the JIB, ECA, IEE, EETPU , WAPETT , WUPPETT , WHIPPET and ALCA-SELTSA .

Deke

Should electrician be licenced?

This is what the next gov. are planning, and to get a licience to practice have a guess which qualification they will be asking for.

Here's a glue it is just about to be changed and takes two days to complete.

Bit late but I only just saw this thread, hope somebody is still watching.

Retrained at 35 with local companies as an adult trainee & paid for my own college. Both companies I worked for went out of bussiness (not my fault honest) & been working for agencies ever since (constant 10 years) for local national & international companies. Always take my quals along & never been questioned by anyone as to the validity of my qualifications or whether I deserve to be paid as an electrician.

2360 pt's 1 & 2 16th

17th upgrade

AM2

2391 inspect & test

For the first time recently got offered a job where they insist on JIB card. Never done it before as I work through agencies & don't really benefit (no protection under UK employment law) & generally sick of paying through the nose for crap certificates, licences & cards that should cost a tenth of the price & should not need renewing every 2 years! ECS test being the biggest ripoff. ( have you seen the question about the rats & a cat!!!)

But, I really wanted to do the job so I thought sod it its worth it in the long run. So I rang them.

I'm a labourer apparently. No NVQ 3!

I was a bit surprised at that so I spoke to a friend who knows about all this (its his job) & he said 'nah they got it wrong, check the website'.

Checked the web site & read this :

''.''(1) Must have been a registered Apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had practical training in electrical installation work.

(2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent See Note 1.

(3) Must have had two years' experience working as an Electrician subsequent to the satisfactory completion of training and immediately prior to the application for this grade.

(4) Must have demonstrated competence and obtained a suitable qualification (the City & Guilds 2391 or the EAL Level 3 Diploma in Inspecting and Testing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipement (500/3542/3) are suitable qualifications) in the inspection, testing and commissioning of installations - see Note 2.

So read note 1 which says this:

''Note 1: If the applicant meets the other three criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:

(a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate or EAL Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (500/3526/5 (Or approved equivelent).

(B) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.''

Ah, so its just a simple error by the woman on the phone because according to this I get Approved Electrician albeit with 'provisional' stamped on it.

This is where the goalposts start moving. Apparently in my case I need to have done the 2360 before 1995 for note 1 to apply as can be seen on the site. No it can't because it's not there but they refuse to budge on the matter ............ but if I'd like to contact one of these reccomended external training centres ROTFWL I can do it through them.

So for

Here's the deal. If you are working on a site on voltages below 400v ac then you only need a CSCS card and you can not be refused. If you need to work with the voltages above 400 then you will need an ECS. Card otherwise interpreted as a JIB gold card. The CSCS and ECS cards are specifically designed as H&S cards, hence the stupid exam, but more importantly are only needed if you want to work on a construction site. Any other site then it is at the discretion of those employing your services. So stuff the JIB and their closed shop antics.

Forgive me if I am old and synical but aren't you just redoing what you were educated to do in the first place?? How many other trades/ professions do you get taught something then take a further course to prove you were taught it, I'd suggest adopting a better system in the first place.

Sharp that's true what you have said, but because jib ask for a NVQ level 3 for gold card I have chose to do it. I have been in the trade long enough and I have all qualifications and I have experience in all types of electrical work, but there will always be new courses and qualifications we will need to obtain due to the greediness of the industry.

F### the JIB and all their twisted practices,

get yourself an IOSH card, any site that refuses you work with your IOSH card take them to court,

IOSH is a proper H&S exam, a 1/2 day course, not some poxy 15minute multiple choice guess CSCS that even my missus has.! and she works in an office!

the JIB, Joke Inbred B....... (as in Alan) !

court for what? they can require you to have a macdonalds chief burger cooking card if they so wish

depends on the site.

if its a proper site then they cant demand you have a lower qualification than the one you hold,

bit like the ECS when they started all this nonsense with me saying I couldnt have a electricians card without an NVQ3,

yet although they are nothing to do with electrical recognised quals, when it was politely explained to the thick lady that I was a recognised QS for a national building company and she went back to her office she then rang up to say I would be acceptable for an ECS card.

do you think anyone could demand you sat a level 2 exam in the exact same subject you held a level 4 in? and if not they would not employ you?

discrimination might come to mind.

private individuals excepted, they ask for whatever they want.

When i started college four years ago at the age of 37 we were told that we would need to find an employer after the second year whether being paid or non paid, weekend work or whatever as the 2330 is only the technical qualification & we would need the 2356nvq to be able to call yourself an electrician. After completing two year level 2 that's what i did, i worked for two electricians who turned out to be complete waste of time but i stuck with it just to get that qualification. I also had to take the AM2 which in total cost me