G5 rollout ???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard that soon you will not need a dish as everything will be streamed through your internet connection , then it will be called cable tv? Haven’t we had that before??? 

I never work on new builds - but is it safe to assume that ALL new builds have fibre connections? 😀

O2 and Vodafone spent hundreds of millions less than ten years ago to start mast sharing, they've had a fall out and are now going back to their old individual sites.

As for the frequencies, exactly the same as previously used but due to bandwidth restrictions at higher frequencies and speed issues more antennas are required to keep up with capacity. Around the 800 MHz range the signal can radiate for miles and bang through obstructions quite easily, when you get to 2600 MHz it's very short range and bounces off most things hence poor reception inside buildings.

Although the 2600 MHz band has only recently been used for mobile networks the RAF used it for many years for the defence RADAR network so we've all been nuked pretty much since birth.

Site share was never the top of mobile phone companies priorities 15 - 20 years ago and they put a lot of effort into discouraging it. Spent 3 months negotiating a site share with one company before finding an alternative solution. The company had a mast on top of a college building, the college had 2 sites and wanted to link the networks at both sites via a 38GHz 155Mbps radio link having done the line of sight survey the mast on the building was a convenient point to mount the antenna at one end. Close to 200 pages of H&S information was faxed to them with quite a lot of duplication of pages as they requested different document sets that overlapped

Even the big mast sites push away site share requests by making it prohibitively expensive citing the need for mast strengthening at telephone number costs to support the addition of one antenna on their mast

Sky broadband uses the BT network with their own head end racks in the exchanges.

Maggie stopped BT putting fibre into all our homes in the 80's putting us a round 20 years behind the rest of the world for domestic internet.

Since OFCOM split up BT's business Sky uses the Openreach network with their equipment located in BT exchanges although I have heard that BT are looking to close a lot of their exchanges with the move to fibre comms so what happens to Sky and Talk Talk will be interesting

Back it the 80's fibre was a totally different technology to what is today, ISTR the big problem wasn't all down government but the fact that a vast amount of the network relied on overhead cabling, the development of reliable overhead fibre has now made FTTP a viable option

The problem BT and now Openreach have is they are government run private companies, and while the government opened the comms market to competition the only competitor that has invested in infrastructure is Virgin and it's numerous predecessors but only in the areas of high population to maximise the return on investment. The Sky, talk talk etc business model seems want to use the BT / Openreach infrastructure as cheap as possible to maximise their profit without any investment of their own in infrastructure and R & D

I have heard that soon you will not need a dish as everything will be streamed through your internet connection , then it will be called cable tv? Haven’t we had that before??? 

I never work on new builds - but is it safe to assume that ALL new builds have fibre connections? 😀

Welcome to Part R of the building regs

want to use the BT / Openreach infrastructure as cheap as possible to maximise their profit without any investment of their own in infrastructure and R & D
Ah !  Much like all those  TV channels  with strange names ....I seem to have about 200 of them  ... they must buy in programming , 99%  US  bilge , insert  six add breaks per hour but don't  ...I would imagine ... make any programming , or maintain transmission lines , employ actors , performers  etc  .  

The channels that actually produce programmes , films , documentaries , children's TV  , Public broadcasting,  comedy , sport , soaps  are  BBC ,  ITV ,  Channel 4 ,   Channel 5  & Sky .  

Since OFCOM split up BT's business Sky uses the Openreach network with their equipment located in BT exchanges although I have heard that BT are looking to close a lot of their exchanges with the move to fibre comms so what happens to Sky and Talk Talk will be interesting

Back it the 80's fibre was a totally different technology to what is today, ISTR the big problem wasn't all down government but the fact that a vast amount of the network relied on overhead cabling, the development of reliable overhead fibre has now made FTTP a viable option

The problem BT and now Openreach have is they are government run private companies, and while the government opened the comms market to competition the only competitor that has invested in infrastructure is Virgin and it's numerous predecessors but only in the areas of high population to maximise the return on investment. The Sky, talk talk etc business model seems want to use the BT / Openreach infrastructure as cheap as possible to maximise their profit without any investment of their own in infrastructure and R & D
BT have either closed or mothballed huge parts of their estate, with technology getting better less space is required. All of my recent exchange work has been installing head end fibre racks for the street cabinets for the new 300mb system, the days of 1000 pair copper leaving the exchange are nearly up.

I know of several exchanges where a large part of them has been sold and converted into dwellings as they are often located on prime real estate just outside of town centres.

They didn't help themselves by selling a lot of the rooftops to Arqiva though as they can't sell the building on now without a lot of legal expenses.

I find it really interesting on how the BT network has changed over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting with it ain’t very British anymore? Can’t stand BT, will not entertain British Telecom nor the other non British entity called British Gas. Neither have the morals of anything that resembles the renowned British Spirit. The sooner they collapse the better we’d all be.