Generator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steps, that is direct contact is it not?
works for me. no basic protection to be pedantic

the very reason rcd where invented perhaps ? :_|

how do you reckon to that?once you use a genny as a supply then your whole installation must now comply with 17th as you have changed the whole installation, so RCDs would be required anyway.

as for how we have two earths,

you have the artificial earth provided by star point(genny or otherwise) and the actual mass of earth that we stand on and that is what conducts the fault current, hence the necessity to rod all supplies,

and once the fault flows through you under fault conditions to actual earth then ALL installations become TT.

do I need to do a drawing?
well I done the drawing

the installation earthing arrangement doesn't change because of a basic protection fault.

what your talking about is different ways to have faults and/or get a shock

Your drawing is better than mine & I can't see the detail at the point of human contact sorry, my eyes are not brilliant nor is my laptop screen!

Your drawing is better than mine & I can't see the detail at the point of human contact sorry, my eyes are not brilliant nor is my laptop screen!
person connected to filament bulb on the neutral side but were no neutral exists

if you was at the generator site steptoe mr B could insert his rod in the hole your in and get a great reading :p :^O;)
works for me. no basic protection to be pedantic the very reason rcd where invented perhaps ? :_|
ok, so I missed out the protective device, the drawing was meant to show how the fault travels, without the rod at the star point then the current would not be large enough quick enough to blow the protective device anyway(probably), just enough to kill.

ok, so I missed out the protective device, the drawing was meant to show how the fault travels, without the rod at the star point then the current would not be large enough quick enough to blow the protective device anyway(probably), just enough to kill.
without the rod at the star point no fault exist and no current would flow

as the person hasnt actually touched an extraneous part that has become live under fault conditions then please explain how else the current returns to star.thanks.
your drawing isnt very clear - exactly what is the person supposed to have touched? looks like the neutral from the lamp? if it is, then regardless of it being TNS or TT, he's getting a shock.

person connected to filament bulb on the neutral side but were no neutral exists
its a very basic drawing to show a person in direct contact with a LIVE part, and NOT in contact with the metal casing(which is earthed,

and who is to say it is the LINE they are in contact with and not the broken neutral?

TBH being pedantic is not helping anyone to understand how this system works under fault,

the whole purpose was to show WHY a genny requires rodding.

NOT discuss my drawing skills,

I thought you may have grasped the basics more than this, maybe I need to do a coloured drawing and include everything?

thats a bit harsh . the drawing is bad from how it looks i described it :innocent

the pedantic was helping as direct contact is now described as basic protection

hang on you said if the star point wasn't earthed . so if it wasn't there is no circuit

no circuit is zero current and zero shock

thats a bit harsh . the drawing is bad from how it looks i described it:innocent
none of you could understand what I was trying to explain so demanded a drawing,

I do a very basic line drawing and now you can see how it proves what I said you can do nothing but try and pick holes in it because of a poor drawing.

common sense would be better used.

A person makes direct contact with a live part, where does the current go?

that would be an easy question to answer.

in fact someone answered it earlier pretty close.

Steptoe said

I thought you may have grasped the basics more than this, maybe I need to do a coloured drawing and include everything
I believe this is a general term and is not meant or directed at anyone.

Debate will always be two sided otherwise there is no need for debate. Express your arguments so all can learn from the discussion.

Steptoe saidI thought you may have grasped the basics more than this, maybe I need to do a coloured drawing and include everything including an idiots key to what is what

I believe this is a general term and is not meant or directed at anyone.

Debate will always be two sided otherwise there is no need for debate. Express your arguments so all can learn from the discussion.
if i need a key to understand it it suggests i'm an idiot ;)

peace

hang on you said if the star point wasn't earthed . so if it wasn't there is no circuitno circuit is zero current and zero shock
there is NO such thing as no circuit.

there is however the general mass of earth,

this is why exporting PME is NOT recommended

Latest posts