Generator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is NO such thing as no circuit.there is however the general mass of earth,

this is why exporting PME is NOT recommended
er... whats PME got to do with this?

and what exactly is your argument, since it seems to be changing every other post...? (would be nice to know exactly what your trying to say, since its not very clear)

you rod the genny so as to provide the star point a path of zero resistance to earth.as is the same reason you do not export PME, general mass of earth can often be potentially different to the supplied earth.

why oh why do people not understand the difference between earth and the general mass of earth.
but.... what exactly does PME have to do with thread? the genny is rodded to earth, and the installation is fed by a TNS supply from the genny....

and once the fault flows through you under fault conditions to actual earth then ALL installations become TT.

do I need to do a drawing?
anyway, now that you have made your little drawing, please state exactly how the TNS supply form the genny is automatically made into TT....

steps,

direct contact no matter what the supply configuration is will give the IP a shock via what you describe as a TT system.

I'm NOT getting into semantics.

The DNO supply is earthed via a rod, as they all are at the local HV/LV transformer, we'll ignore the bit inbetween the direct contact between the IP and the live conductor whilst direct contact will result in a TT system for the fault current.

The consumers electrode will be the IP.

I fail to see from the laws of physics how this can be different for any conficuration of supply and consumers installation.

Direct contact, NO EEB, NO ADS based on Zs will assist.

The only thing that is going to protect you is additional protection or shock current limiting due to the nature of the TT resistance created by the high resistances between the origin electrode and the IP.

The current will still be enough to kill and the voltage will be high enough to force that voltage through the IP.

I fail to see how a correctly designed TT system can protect you in this situation any more than can a TN-S or TN-C-S.

If you can elaborate on your position (I hate to call it an argument) as it is as has been suggested open dabate, how you propose that a TT system will limit the fault current and voltage to below letha levels in such a scenario / all scenarios then I would like to know.

Please provide calculations, regulations and legislation to back up your position so we can analyse this against "the laws of physics Captain" ;)

I'm NOT saying your wrong or right, I just need to understand the science and engineering upon which your position is based, as from the sketch you have provided, which is not wrong and is now clear, I cannot see the point you wish to make.

How about providing some sample calcs on how your proposal reduces the fault current and voltage to non lethal levels as defined in standards and legislation. I can't remember the document number for the shock resistance levels which are quoted in BS's etc.

This may help to assess the shock potential of any installed system and to analyse how the fixed wiring affects the potential tissue and CNS damage to the IP.

steps,direct contact no matter what the supply configuration is will give the IP a shock via what you describe as a TT system.

I'm NOT getting into semantics.

The DNO supply is earthed via a rod, as they all are at the local HV/LV transformer, we'll ignore the bit inbetween the direct contact between the IP and the live conductor whilst direct contact will result in a TT system for the fault current.

The consumers electrode will be the IP.

I fail to see from the laws of physics how this can be different for any conficuration of supply and consumers installation.

Direct contact, NO EEB, NO ADS based on Zs will assist.

The only thing that is going to protect you is additional protection or shock current limiting due to the nature of the TT resistance created by the high resistances between the origin electrode and the IP.

The current will still be enough to kill and the voltage will be high enough to force that voltage through the IP.

I fail to see how a correctly designed TT system can protect you in this situation any more than can a TN-S or TN-C-S.

If you can elaborate on your position (I hate to call it an argument) as it is as has been suggested open dabate, how you propose that a TT system will limit the fault current and voltage to below letha levels in such a scenario / all scenarios then I would like to know.

Please provide calculations, regulations and legislation to back up your position so we can analyse this against "the laws of physics Captain" ;)

I'm NOT saying your wrong or right, I just need to understand the science and engineering upon which your position is based, as from the sketch you have provided, which is not wrong and is now clear, I cannot see the point you wish to make.

How about providing some sample calcs on how your proposal reduces the fault current and voltage to non lethal levels as defined in standards and legislation. I can't remember the document number for the shock resistance levels which are quoted in BS's etc.

This may help to assess the shock potential of any installed system and to analyse how the fixed wiring affects the potential tissue and CNS damage to the IP.
my very point is SIDEWINDER that under a fault condition your install will undertake a (virtual{if you will})TT install, so why not design it as TT from the outset and not rely on TN to start with.

all the calcs you require will be found in BRB as most people seem so fond of quoting.

so you are saying mr stick man wont get a shock?isnt he earthed?

the genny ISNT rodded, the whole point of this is to show why it must be rodded.

PME was only an example of how general earth and supplied earth can differ in potential.

Im fed up of trying to explain the basics of earthing.
in pic 2, he wont get a shock. no return path. same as theory as SELV

your example of how TNCS earth voltage can vary from ground is valid... but only for TNCS.

it does not apply to TT or TNS! at no point in the installation is there a TNC part, so ground voltage will always be at earth voltage because of the rod....

now if you took TNC from the genny to installation, with a rod at star, and then split to TNCS at installation, then i agree there could be a slight difference between earth and ground

drawing 1not only by a genny, but via any direct contact on a TN system

that is why they need to be rodded at star point
you have not shown in any way how the installation has became TT...

unless you magically install a rod to installation, and ditch supply earth at the exact time of someone getting a shock, the installation will always remain TNS (or TNCS)

Any TN system in the national grid is rodded at the star point for compliance with statutory regs, so I'm not sure of your point steps?
he's on about a genny rodded and not rodded

I think the point being made is why change from TT to TN? why not just leave it all TT?I like TT it confirms earth :)
but why TT it... you have full control

why make it TT?

if you make it TT, then a fault live - metallic case will have limited fault current, and (hopefully) trip the RCD. if it doesnt, then there may be a voltage between installation earth and ground

keep it TNS, then the same fault will have a nice low resistance back to star, and a larger fault current to take out any MCB/fuse aswell as RCD, with very little voltage between earth & ground during the fault...

Latest posts