going it alone

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey

Reaction score
Hi all ,this is my last week at work with electricial company being made redundant,just great, got the usual mortgage ,kids had to cancel holiday lost all money we paid for it even though had insurance. I was just after a bit of advice about going out there and making a go of it myself,have got some flyers ordered and a few possible jobs,have any of you come out the other side and built a business up be good to hear some positives ,i know it will be hard but dont have alot of choice at the moment.thanks

There is business link at top of page may help with some things would read through this first and anything else someone can probably help with.

Hello corey and welcome to the forum, going it alone is hard for anyone and even harder now with the reccesion etc.

The rewards can be very good and most people I know will never go back to working for anyone else again.

It will depend on your contacts, and who you plan to target, there is a lot of competition these days where say 20 years ago there was only two or three electricians in a particular area who would do domestics, where now there could be up to 40 plus those willing to travel.

Only true advise I will give you is work hard and be fully commited, be fair and you will go far.

if i was in your position i would be trying setting up self employed and ringing as many companies as possible and ask about subcontracting. You could have a steady income in a short space of time, then build up your own work while doing that.

Employed to self employed on your own is a massive step where as subbing is something in between which will pay the bills. good luck with it all.

if i was in your position i would be trying setting up self employed and ringing as many companies as possible and ask about subcontracting. You could have a steady income in a short space of time, then build up your own work while doing that. Employed to self employed on your own is a massive step where as subbing is something in between which will pay the bills. good luck with it all.
+1

Latest posts