Good old fashioned doorbell

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAAMUSEMENTS

Reaction score
Want to get one of those old style doorbells that goes "BBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGG" instead of "Bing Bong" or some silly tune, for the parents; as Dad in particular is getting fairly mutton.

It should preferably be one that I can rig up to a bell transformer instead of batteries.

Do they still sell such a thing?

:|

YUP

Dome bell sold at all good wholesalers, a bit of a fiddle to get the ring just right.

YUPDome bell sold at all good wholesalers, a bit of a fiddle to get the ring just right.
Ah right are they the black ones that people have on shop doors sometimes?

Do they still do the elongated ones in a white surround that were meant to have two D cells in? They had that at the last house and instead of the expense of batteries I just ran a bell wire to the transformer and soldered it to the battery terminals.

What's the best/neatest way to connect these low voltage systems? I don't really want to terminal block any joints as it looks so poor!

Edit:

One of these

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/index.php?id=495&pid=5014&sid=1

But cheaper preferably!

Yes thats the same bell in a battery enclosure and they can be run of Transformer if required (They do have screw terminals).

As they are SELV you can wire them in 2cre bell wire or similar back to Transformer, any joints should still be enclosed e.g. Choc box.

As thats BAND 1 Cct it should be segregated from Band II OR insulated to same as Band II (230 VOLT) wiring.

Want to get one of those old style doorbells that goes "BBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGG" instead of "Bing Bong" or some silly tune, for the parents; as Dad in particular is getting fairly mutton.It should preferably be one that I can rig up to a bell transformer instead of batteries.

PARDON :D :D:coat

You can get those bells without the plastic enclosre,, you might have to get them ordered in though
I would like the one with the plastic enclosure though if possible, I think they look much nicer.

Problem is all the ones I have found are too damn expensive!

Edit: :D at Badger!

Want to get one of those old style chimes doorbells that goes "BBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGG" instead of "Bing Bong" or some silly tune for the parents; as Dad in particular is getting fairly mutton.It should preferably be one that I can rig up to a bell transformer instead of batteries.

The doorbell in my grandparents' house is probably from the 1950s. it has two chimes. Pressing the front door button results in both chimes ringing, one ofter the other (bing-bong). Pressing the rear door button results in a buzzing sound from the unit inside the house. :x

The doorbell in my grandparents' house is probably from the 1950s. it has two chimes. Pressing the front door button results in both chimes ringing, one ofter the other (bing-bong). Pressing the rear door button results in a buzzing sound from the unit inside the house. :x
That sounds different!

Latest posts