Gu10 Bulbs Keep Blowing.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doodneylucky13

Reaction score
Been asked by a few of people that have recessed / down lights with gu10 blubs in them why they keep blowing.

Just wondering if anybody knew some kind of common fault or reason why they could blow.

I don't know maybe its do with the way there installed or some one has decided to cover them up and they get to hot. ?

Just wondering if anybody else has come across this or know something that might help.

Thanks

done to death topic, please search site for more answers than you can shake a stick at :^O
cheap lamps
If you havn't got anything useful to say go do one , stop wasting my time !  Im getting sick of getting smart arse stuiped answer on here !

thanks for you links , just the kind of thing I wanted.

Was talking to another spark last night and he was saying to me it to do with holding the lamp bear handed when changing/ fitting the lamp as the oils / grease from your fingers  effects the lamp, just like if you changing a halogen bulb , you don't torch that with your bear hands  

I don't think it's so much of an issue with the halogen GU10's because you're not actually handling the quartz glass that contains the filament, you're handling the dichroic reflector part of the lamp. With the old R7 type linear halogen lamps you're not supposed to touch the glass tube.

R7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you havn't got anything useful to say go do one , stop wasting my time !  Im getting sick of getting smart arse stuiped answer on here !

thanks for you links , just the kind of thing I wanted.

Was talking to another spark last night and he was saying to me it to do with holding the lamp bear handed when changing/ fitting the lamp as the oils / grease from your fingers  effects the lamp, just like if you changing a halogen bulb , you don't torch that with your bear hands  

Don't listen to "other sparks"  read the instructions that come with the lamps..... 

lamps that have handling issues have some small print or a little picture on the box....

or a plastic glove..  etc...

telling you not to handle the lamp

As Marvo said..

GU10's  have the lamp itself encapsulated in the glass reflector..

Pound shop cheap lamps / Supermarket lamps..

or just foreign imports 

Is the most likely cause!

(first sentence is a bit out of order IMHO....

as it IS a done to death topic.. 

And it most likely is cheap lamps..

And a bit of use of the search facility can bring up lots of links...

But them some people expect others to do the searching for them I guess??)

:shakehead

I have always been told by customers GU10's don't last. In fact a builder I work for at times had a few GU10 fittings and he had the same problem. I sold him some Sylvania ones so branded and even these did not last. Quite honestly I think GU10's should go the same way as GLS lamps and be banned.

I think you also probably need to look on the box at the expected lifespan.....

I got an osram GU10 box here..  its only 2000hr..

which is theoretically only double the average GLS lamp....

compared to some long life lamps quoting 5000hr+ or 10year lifespans!

2000hr @ 24hrs/day = 83.3 days

@ 8hrs/day = 250 days

@ 4hrs/day = 500 days

I am assuming the number of on/off operations reduces the lifespan??

and what about dimmers ?   can they have any detrimental affects?

Never looked at it like that Specs. Although I think GLS lamps always lasted a long time until the main manufacturers stopped making them.

I agree the quality of manufacturing is the biggest influence...

but IMHO I think the odd 5% or 10% can be some other issues as well...

and what about dimmers ?   can they have any detrimental affects?

Yes, dimmers can reduce the lifespan of halogen lamps. The tungsten filament evaporates when the lamp is on and returns to the filament when it's switched off. If the quartz glass runs too cool when the lamp is on then the evaporated tungsten recombines on the glass and doesn't return to the filament. This can cause the lamp to go black and fail prematurely. As a rule of thumb don't dim halogen lamps lower than 50%, if they're still too bright rather go with a lower wattage replacement than dimming them too low. 

Had a lengthy discussion with Philips once at a trade fair, regarding the lamp life due to switching on and off, I was amazed at what they were saying.

It was less than 50% lamp life in some instances, for what I considered normal use, over and above that was even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.