Hallway and landing lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuff4jas

Reaction score
Im about to rewire my house and want to wire the hallway and landing lights so that I can switch either of them on and off from downstairs and upstairs.

Ive been told I need a 2 way switch set up but keep only finding diagrams for single light 2 way switching.

Has anyone got a good explanation and diagram of what i need to do.

Many thanks for any replies.

Jas

repeat the diagram you have and use 2 gang switches

basically, wire both up & down as normal, but add an extra 3c&e between down and up switch

Im about to rewire my house and want to wire the hallway and landing lights so that I can switch either of them on and off from downstairs and upstairs.Ive been told I need a 2 way switch set up but keep only finding diagrams for single light 2 way switching.

Has anyone got a good explanation and diagram of what i need to do.

Many thanks for any replies.

Jas
Two way switching and intermediate switching is one of the main causes for apprentices to become premature baldies.

They think its more complicated than it actually is.

As a result they look blank when asked to wire them.

If you have any books there will be plenty of diagrams you can look at for two way switching.

Here is something for you to look at

http://2wayswitch.com/2-way-switch-wiring-diagram/

Thanks all that answered my question, one last thing. Can I use 1mm 3core and earth as the link between upstairs switches and downstairs switches.

All the best

Jas

Thanks all that answered my question, one last thing. Can I use 1mm 3core and earth as the link between upstairs switches and downstairs switches.All the best

Jas
stuff4jas

If you are going to rewire your house how much training/knowledge do you have of electrics?

Are you going to knotify building control?

:)

hii off topic but back from earlier.. not sure if these are any help to any learners out there ? made these a while backk and have only just realised i did the 3 core in old colors, idiott but ye still does the trick

just gives an insight into lighting circuits..

worth a play :D

one way light switching [Link Removed]

two way light switching [Link Removed]

intermediate switching. [Link Removed]

cheers

your colours are not consistent. you have old colours, new colours, and in the first pic, a brown/blue that turns into twin brown! you also have '1.55mm

yee need to redo them sometime, and yee the first pic was abit heavy handed on the brown switched live sleeving il give you that will get them changed at some point