Has Snow Stopped Anyone Getting To Work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a text from lads school today at 1.17 to say school was closing at 2, could I make arrangements to pick him up,

I was about 1/2 hour away and it wasnt too bad, thought it must be bad back 'home' so went to lift him,

weather was actually better at school than job I was on,,,,,,,,,,,,

oh, I was getting to jobs 20 - 30 mile away and there were other guys lived 2 mile from job had got 'snowed in' , cards in guys BTW. !

My college was closed on Friday, but for some reason someone made that decision on Thursday afternoon, even before it started snowing!

I've managed go get around just fine in my little tin can of a car :)

It cracks me up when I comment on the chaos that a little bit of snow causes (yes, anything less than a foot is a little bit :) ) and people say "but we're not used to it in this country. We can't cope.". But as far as I remember it has snowed every year since I came here! :)

I rest my case... :)

Nobody invests in stuff required for snow conditions because we don't get enough of it, unlike countries that have it almost all year round.
some people do though - i have a spade that lives in the van, keep chains in the van through winter, and usually a tub of rocksalt

im yet to get stuck in something that i cant get out of (but most of my driving is in fairly built up areas so not a great deal of snow compared to scotland etc, altough i probably cound manage it). apart form other road users who havet came prepared and get in the way

Nobody invests in stuff required for snow conditions because we don't get enough of it, unlike countries that have it almost all year round.
Back in the day the local council had 3 snow ploughs

It snowed....so time to get out the snow ploughs?

Errrrrrrm

Snowplough 1. Was In the process of being serviced ( service it in the Fricking summer tw@s)

Snowplough 2. Was dissolved into a pile of rust

Snowplough 3. Had been loaned to somebody BUT nobody could remember who?????????

.........just sleighing

I'd say yes, snow has stopped me getting to work. Not directly, but indirectly through the traffic snarl ups and incompetence inexperience of many drivers.

Personally speaking, after last year's winter I decided i'd had enough of my car being poor in the snow and bought winter tyres last October. Awesome things. Not just in snow but anything wet or cold. Haven't got stuck once this year, even went looking for snowy hills to drive up. This is on a Vectra not anything with four wheel drive.

However last friday when everybody wanted to leave work early, it took me two hours to drive crawl 3 miles. I had to ring customers to say see you next week, I just can't get to you! bad day explode

Over the last week I've seen some of the worst driving ever. Drivers going too slowly on clear roads, too fast on icy ones, not closing up gaps to enable traffic to pass, mounting pavements to get past stationary traffic, it beggars belief.

Work has been more affected by cancellations and closures than my ability to get to it. Boo! headbang

Directly   no it hasn't, indirectly it has, the Guy that skidded into to the river and died  was about six miles from me on a road I use often, my sympathy go out to the family and friends.

I wasn't badly affected, I've got a 4x4 but it stayed in the drive as I went to work in the van. We had quite a bit of snow here but as long as you don't drive like a nutcase you'll be ok. SO many people were just hammering the throttle and seemed to be surprised when the wheels spun.....

and to all the BMW, AUDI and Merc drivers who were struggling or dumped their cars, get a transit and some winter boots and you'll be fine!

Latest posts