Heights for disabled sockets ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there are special mounting heights for socket and light switches for wheelchair users .

Its a ground floor bedroom and wetroom on a council grant , they are not specifying any but they could turn on us at the end of the job , you know what they are like .

450mm to bottom of socket Outlets and a maximum of 1200mm to the top of the light switches. :)

Anyone know if there are special mounting heights for socket and light switches for wheelchair users .Its a ground floor bedroom and wetroom on a council grant , they are not specifying any but they could turn on us at the end of the job , you know what they are like .
You coming round to mine then Evans?

More often than not, the noggins of stud walls are at 1200, so i usually put mine around 1000
That must look ridiculous? Half way up the bloody wall. headbang

I know on new build you are constrained by building regs but mine are around ~200mm and nice and discrete, but not so low you stress the cable when things are plugged in.

That must look ridiculous? Half way up the bloody wall. headbang I know on new build you are constrained by building regs but mine are around ~200mm and nice and discrete, but not so low you stress the cable when things are plugged in.
You dont honestly think i was talking about sockets do you? headbang

your obviously doing a DDA grant if its for a council, they will have a surveyor who will come around check that the heights, even the shower if its electric are correct, as long as you conform to Building regs approved Document M everything you need is in this document and then nobody can knock your work.

Thanks Stani , yes it is a grant job, they only spec'd the shower which the builder has supplied so I was making sure some clever -clogs doesn't show up the end saying things don't comply . Doors are extra wide etc . This particular council is being a bit precious about not knowing the builder before and the first payment hasn't come through yet.

Builder is excellent by the way , a guy turned up today and went away most impressed.

I did a flat in Preston for a wheelchair user, the kitchen was the main area of contention, because most units allowed close proximity to the worktops I placed the sockets where the user could easily reach them. The work was inspected afterwards and my work fully complied, the client also said how helpful I was, another electrician fitted out the bathroom (plumber+electrics), this failed because he put the fan isolater switch above the door frame.

I did a flat in Preston for a wheelchair user, the kitchen was the main area of contention, because most units allowed close proximity to the worktops I placed the sockets where the user could easily reach them. The work was inspected afterwards and my work fully complied, the client also said how helpful I was, another electrician fitted out the bathroom (plumber+electrics), this failed because he put the fan isolate switch above the door frame.
why would this fail it is only there for isolation for maintenance if they need to reach the isolation switch how about the fan they would reach that

All fittings have to be in reach not only sockets and switches but any item used for isolation (if fitted).

Its not just for maintenance, any problem with the fan that requires any isolation from the circuit can not be done by a person in a wheelchair if the isolater is above a door.

There are many things in the Part M document that get overlooked, for example assistance bells (notification systems), for people who can not for one reason or another use a ramp for example, or listed buildings or exsisting buildings that are exempt from provision of a permanant ramp yet provide no means of calling for assistance.

Anyway smoke coming from a fan that can not be isolated by the user because it is out of reach is not good.

I,m not quite with you on that one , Yam-Yam . :C ;)
we are having our garage converted in october to bedroom and ensuite shower room for my Mrs who has a disability, thats all mate:D

we are having our garage converted in october to bedroom and ensuite shower room for my Mrs who has a disability, thats all mate:D
Ah ! I'm with you now , yes I'm in a similar situation, but according to the Blue Badge office a heart problem, breathing problem, blood pressure prob, a metal hip and walking with two sticks no longer warrants a parking badge. headbang .

Years ago she was looking to join Birchfield Harriers, perhaps they think she,s still with them!!! :C

Can I quote the electrics on your conversion then ?? :innocent :)

All fittings have to be in reach not only sockets and switches but any item used for isolation (if fitted).Its not just for maintenance, any problem with the fan that requires any isolation from the circuit can not be done by a person in a wheelchair if the isolater is above a door.

There are many things in the Part M document that get overlooked, for example assistance bells (notification systems), for people who can not for one reason or another use a ramp for example, or listed buildings or exsisting buildings that are exempt from provision of a permanant ramp yet provide no means of calling for assistance.

Anyway smoke coming from a fan that can not be isolated by the user because it is out of reach is not good.
So, how do they hush smoke detectors then?

Latest posts