Hello, looking for some stories

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauline B

Reaction score
Hi there,

I work for Lion Television and the reason I post is that I am hoping to hear from people for a case study all about DIY problems. I thought that users on the forums might know of some people who might be facing these difficulties. If so, these please let me know if there's a topic I can post in with all the details of how to contact me, I hope to hear from some of you!

Many thanks,

Pauline

Welcome to the Forum Pauline

I am sure there will be some members here who can help you, perhaps you could expand on what your looking for exactly for your research

I have read your question a few times and I dont really understand what your actually looking/asking for? Long week though, maybe its just me!

Hello,

Let me explain further. We are hoping to hear from people who have had a bit of a DIY nightmare when they've been working in their house, so much so that they need help in rectifying the problems they have created. I was thinking maybe some people that come here for advice might be facing this with their own renovation so I hope people might want to email me with more details. My email is [email protected] if you guys know of anyone at all that this might be relevant to.

Thanks, Pauline

Hello Pauline and welcome to the forum, the majority of our members witness the DIY disasters when they are called to put them right.

We do from time to time get DIY'ers asking for advice on how to do the jobs themselves though most take our advice and get a qualified electrician in to do it for them.

If this is for a new TV show I am sure my wife would show you some of my handy work, which is 11 years in the making, but still unfinished, well I started well!

Thanks Manator,

Hopefuly some people will get in touch with us but understandably sometimes it is best to leave it to the professionals. 11 years in the making! That's a lot learning, I'm sure it's good!

When I moved into my house I gutted the living room with the vigour of a teenager on one of those 18-30 holidays, it has stayed the same ever since and is now used to store some of my gear.

The wife asks almost every week when am I going to finish it.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:53 ----------

We do have two more habitable rooms though.

And how are your DIY skills? If you've made some disastrous attempts across the house, it woul be good if you could email some photos if you're interested in telling me your story?

I've just got back from a DIY cock up (I say just got back it was a little earlier) but he called on my way home.

The chap has been without any lights upstairs for two days & finaly gave in & called an electrician.

All he tried to do was replace the landing light, as soon as the switch was flicked off went all the lights, so he had a meddle with the cables in the fitting again....flicks the switch POP no lights.

So yesterday morning he thinks safety & disconnects the new fitting & puts all the cables into seperate chock blocks......oh no now none of the upstairs lights work.

I arrive at 16:00 & leave at 16:23 ....... new fitting up & all other lights working.........DIY electrical work joe public shouldnt be allowed to do it.... but I bet you dont want that in the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the 'DIY' we have come across does not take that long to fix. I don't think that people should be stopped doing diy in thier own home but as a consequence should not be alowed to sell thier home leaving it dangerous to the new owner.

Most of the major problems that we find are done by so called electricians who don't really have the real experiance to be doing work unsupervised (self employed) but just do it anyway

With the introduction of part 'P' there has been a lot more of this going on and has become a commercial entity rather than the end user saftey in mind.....

I arrive at 16:00 & leave at 16:23 ....... new fitting up & all other lights working.........DIY electrical work joe public shouldnt be allowed to do it.... but I bet you dont want that in the show.
Wouldn't you think there could be some policed regulation to prevent this sort of thing?

Maybe the Government could concoct some legislation that would make electrical work notifiable to some higher authority, and then maybe just maybe there would be the creation of some trade body/watchdog which could randomly check/assess this work?

Far fetched? Yeah, you're probably right!

Best left alone, let's forget it..................... :coat

I have been doing a rewire for a retired sparks, he said about people ringing him up to sort the cock ups from people who had tried to put up light fittings when he was working so it nothing new and probably will never change. We should be like the Revler and charge extra to put right peoples mistakes.

I started my kitchen over 4 years ago and was without anything but a sink from July until xmas eve, most of it is finished now,

the bathroom is in a state of undress, but the shower works ok, thats another 6month ongoing thing, apart from the bath taps have been disconnected since the middle of last year! :eek:

I blame the missus, why cant she wait until one thing is finished before she wants another started?

oh, and my mate plumbed in a new bathroom, was very posh, he even had hot water in his toilet.! :slap

Now i tink about it ........................... I still need to complete the ensuite tiling & boxing in of pipework, has been partialy done for 8 months now......Pauline you can send your crew round to complete the work if you want (Mrs M will be most pleased) so long as it isnt the clowns from 60 min make over or that lot that do a place up hoping to put extra thousands on the house value.....Some bodgy work by that lot.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Steptoe, it would be good to hear your DIY stories further if you are interested in talking to me for the case study?

I started my kitchen over 4 years ago and was without anything but a sink from July until xmas eve, most of it is finished now,the bathroom is in a state of undress, but the shower works ok, thats another 6month ongoing thing, apart from the bath taps have been disconnected since the middle of last year! :eek:

I blame the missus, why cant she wait until one thing is finished before she wants another started?

oh, and my mate plumbed in a new bathroom, was very posh, he even had hot water in his toilet.! :slap
My plumber mate did that the other week, he wondered why the combi fired up when he flushed the loo:shakehead the problem was that everything was fitted including the 1/4" ply nailed every 6"(but luckily not the vinyl).... So out comes my multitool and I cut a nice neat hatch to allow him to fix it:Applaud