Help please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generalloss

Reaction score
I have a question i cannot awnser. The question is a s followd

"The architect requests the addition of two wall mounted twin luminaires, Determine (show calculations) if it is necessary to install a separate lighting circuit, when the existing lighting circuit contains ten lighting outlets. And state the documentation required if this additional circuit is installed after initial verification of the installation has been performed."

Thanks for eny help you can give me. I have ben stuck on this question for days.

I've just deleted my answer because for 2 wall lights , I just can't be doing with all this ballcocks about paperwork . I know its not PC but FFS just install the damn things.

Existing circuit takes what?..... 5A if they are all 100w ea but under the 75% (or whatever it is) energy saving stuff when all switched on, then considerably less ........... Oh no offense to you , General but I just can't be bothered .

Oh alright , tell him a load reading will have to taken to determine whether 2 more lights can be added and a Minor Works certifacate ( 10 copies) issued to all and sundry , Part P scammer notified, letter to Inland Revenue , The VAT, David Cameron , EON , The EEC, and Esther Rantzen .

Be nice guys. Newbie here asking for some help with a perfectly reasonable question. Having only 3 posts he could be forgiven for not seeing the student zone, especially if scanning down the list of threads as this comes up right near the top.

Some helpful advice to the OP: in these cases you will get a lot more help if you try to answer the question. There are many good people on here who give their free time to help newbies along BUT we are not here to do your homework. Give the answer a go, we will then chip in. Ignore the grumpy buggers above!

:D

Grumpy ****** am I ? Huh ! ;)

Well I didn't know it was a course question , thought he'd got some pedantic architect .

Anyway whats wrong with my answer , check if the circuit has some extra load capacity , add two lights , issue Minor Works to keep paper pushers happy.

surely 10 x lamps @100 w = 1000w, therfore 12 lights = 12 x 100 w = 1200 w, watts/voltage = current, therefore 1200/230 = 5.27 amps, so as long as the circuit has a minimum of 6 amp protection, this should be fine, may need to do Voltage drop calculation. minor elect. works cert and that should do.

ok 10x100w=1000/230= Ib 4.348

In 6a Type B 60898

Iz Current Carrying Capacity Table 4D5 : CSA 1mm Twin & Earth

2x Twin Luminaires

4x100w = 400/230 = 1.739 + 4.348=6.087a

Applying 66% Diversity Appendix 1,Table 1B On Site Guide = 4.017a

Certification would be a Minor Works Certificate (MWC)

So no New circuit would be required.

:D

surely 10 x lamps @100 w = 1000w, therfore 12 lights = 12 x 100 w = 1200 w, watts/voltage = current, therefore 1200/230 = 5.27 amps, so as long as the circuit has a minimum of 6 amp protection, this should be fine, may need to do Voltage drop calculation. minor elect. works cert and that should do.
Do not assume, as we have not been told what the existing 10 luminaires are they could be 150 watt SONs for all we know.

Thank you for your help!

And sorry i posted in the wrong section.

I think thay presume that its a 100watt luminary i have nothing els to go on.

Thanks again a ton for your help :)

Cheers

using drawings 2360-201 03 A1 and 2360-202 03 A2, determine the total length of cable required for the socket outlet installation. include 5% wastage